HippieBob
HippieBob
  • Pueblo, CO
Asked on Jun 27, 2013

Best hose end sprayer.

Cor1936530HippieBobKMS Woodworks
+4

For many years I have used an Ortho Sprayette hose end sprayer, made by Hayes. Mine has finally given up and I find they are no longer available. I have tried several others, but so far none have really satisfied me. We have a large piece of land and the grasshoppers are extremely bad, so it will be getting a lot of use. Does anyone have a recomendation drawing on their experience?
  • KMS Woodworks

I've used one like this at number of my client's homes...the number and variety of spray types works great. http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/hg-hose-nozzle-593.jpg

• HippieBob

I guess I should have been more precise in what I am looking for. I need a sprayer that will apply pesticides. They usually have a jar that the chemicals are mixed in and then drawn up into the stream of water when spraying.

• KMS Woodworks

Oh...I got it now. A pump sprayer. Have you tried the manufacturer for a replacement tip? or was it the hose assembly. I had one where the hose got kinky and I replaced just the hose part with some heavy duty rubber tubing. The original was some crappy vinyl. It looks like hayes got bought out back in 2006 http://markets.cbsnews.com/cbsnews/news/read/3161425/meadwestvaco_to_acquire_leading_hose

• HippieBob

No. That still isn't it. It is a sprayer that attaches to the end of a garden hose. The sprayer has a bottle affached to it that contains whatever chemical you want to apply to the garden, lawn, whatever. It is similar to a spray paint gun, using water instead of air. Miracle-Gro makes a product specific one for their "fertilizers". Ortho sells something called a "Dial-a-Spray", I think. It is cheap and the one I had broke very quickly. One nice thing about the no longer available Ortho Spray-Ette, was that you could spray either a nice gentle fan for delicate plants, or a stronger stream that would reach up into trees. It lasted many years and I doubt that I will find anything that good these days, but would still like to find something that will last longer than it takes to get out of the carton.

• KMS Woodworks

This Gilmour version has some pretty decent reviews. http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-362-Professional-Pre-Mix-Sprayer/dp/B00002N67I

• HippieBob

Had one of these a couple of years ago. I'm afraid it failed. The red plastic knob on the water control valve broke after a few uses. It seems to me that very few of the sprayers I have found last for very long anymore. I hate to buy another that will end up in the landfill before the summer is over.

• Cor1936530

sigh...mine just sh..the bed too..why did Ortho stop making them!!?? I had an 8 gallon hose end sprayer with the tree and shrub tip...I changed the tube, cleaned it ...still won't work...I guess it's just old...I think I've had it for 25 years...