KrysFL
KrysFL
  • Lakeland, FL

DIY Outdoor Living Space

$200.00

As summer approached, I really wanted to add some furniture to our outdoor patio. I wanted sleek, modern and easy to keep clean. I came across an awesome sectional at West Elm (http://www.westelm.com/products/wood-slat-sectional-g085/), however, there was no way I could afford it. So after staring at their website with a frown on my face, I had an ah-hah moment. I would just build my own! I searched online and found very similar plans (http://ana-white.com/2010/05/plans/simple-modern-outdoor-sectional-armless-section) and decided, what the heck, I'm going to do it!
So far I only have 3 pieces built and went ahead and built myself a matching coffee table. The best part is I can easily build the additional pieces (as I have time) until I have a complete sectional like the West Elm one.
I did make several modifications since I decided to use 2x4s instead of 1x4s (since they were 1/2 the price) which required a calculator because, well, I suck at math. :) But in the end, I think it came out just perfect.
The seat cushions I bought at Target and the red back pillows, as well as the little pillows, I made myself. The whole thing (including the cushions) cost less than $200!

The best part was the look on my husband's face when he saw it. He was so impressed!! Now, every time we have friends over I hear him bragging about how I built it. I'm such a lucky wifey. :)

What do you think?
Sorry I had to blur out the coordinates on the pillow... another great idea (to add house coordinates) that I got from Pinterest. :)
We have a nautical theme going on (would you expect anything less in FL? :) )
Loving it!
Loving it!
After 1 coat of stain... I actually used Lowes Solid Deck Stain in Ebony
Before the stain.. (Cali, my English Bulldog was supervising the process for me)
MY impromptu coffee table. No plans for this one. Just the extra wood I had left over.

• Linda

You rock girl!!! Amazing confidence in your own abilities,too!!! What an "I can do" spirit!!

• Ebbytwin2572

Great job and love the pup!