Patriotic Pallet Wood Centerpiece

This project is part of the Junk Revision Challenge, a monthly blog hop to transform junk into something better. This month's theme is Patriotic.
My junk of choice is usually pallet wood and with a fresh shipment of pallets, thanks to my brother-in-law, Bill, I am set for this project as well as a few more.
Pallet wood usually comes in 2 basic widths, a skinnier board and a fatter board. This project uses 3 of the wider pallet boards , cut to equal lengths of 36 inches.
I drew my star and measured out my stripes. The width of a yardstick was just about perfect for making 3 even stripes.
I used acrylic paints I had sitting around to fill in my stripes and star.
The brand new paint was sanded down to have that old, distressed "I've been out in the weather" look.
The sides were tacked together with finishing nails from a nail gun, but if I want this box to last longer than one season, I'll have to follow up with screws.
Additional pallet wood was cut to fit inside the ends of the box, and that too was nailed into place.
A coat of tinted wax ages the box a bit more and protects it from the elements.
To protect the wood and to hold in the water, add a sheet of plastic before adding your potting soil and flowers.
The impatiens are just beginning to take off and by the 4th they should be beautiful.
If you would like to see more pictures, and the other junk inspired Patriotic projects make sure you click on the link below.
If you would like to see last years 4th of July project which also happens to be made of pallet wood, you can find that here.
http://scavengerchic.com/2015/05/11/stars-and-stripes-diy/

ScavengerChic

• Dee

Love your project, but am wondering about drainage if you are planting live flowers and put plastic in the box???

• Debra Rhodes

you could also drill a hole or two in the bottom for drainage. Simple as that.

• One Happy Hippie Girl

I made this for my dad for Father's Day and he loved it!! Thanks for the inspiration! I had everything I needed except for the white and red Vinca.

, It turned out awesome I didn t distress mine as much as yours because I knew my dad would like the more vibrant colors
  • E95656

So cutel!