Deb
Deb
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Asked on Jun 27, 2013

Crazy Lily.

Brenda BartonLinda HopperDeb
+14

Has any body had a lily grow more than one stem together like this? I know there are at least 3 dozen bloom bud on this stem!!!!! The stem is about 3" wide or better. What causes this, and will this be the end of this bulb?
q crazy lily, gardening
  • KMS Woodworks

You don't happen to live next to a radioactive waste site do you? I'll tag @Douglas Hunt perhaps he has seen this before.

• Lori J

Asiatics have multiple blooms but nothing close to 3 dozen...and that stem is odd. What the heck?

Nope, never seen anything like it. Possibly it has something to do with the bulb dividing and forming offsets? See: http://www.mikesbackyardgarden.org/lilyprop.html I would definitely be inclined to dig it up after blooming and the stem matures to take a look.

• Lori J

This is your lily. This is your lily on steroids.

• Diane Keirstead

Definitely a Mutant! Who knows why??

• Caley's Culinaries

I think it's like conjoined twins. I think they were trying to spit and it didn't complete. Some of my plants have gotten wide, flat stems like that and put out some weird growth. Or it could me a mutant gene! Patent it and call it Deb's Studlicious Lilly!

• Peg

I had that happen to lilies on my other property, it's called "fasciation". It does not affect the flower production at all. Very interesting, which I had another in my current gardens. It's a good conversation piece!!

Thank you, Peg. I had never heard of that. For those, like me, who'd like to know a little more about this, here's some info from Purdue University: http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/fascinatingfasciation.html

• Linda Hopper

I have two plants with stems like that...weird. One is a Dusty Miller and the other a Calendula. I'll take pics tomorrow and post. Strange year...

• Judy Grecco

I had a foxglove that had one large flower off the top with a stem like that, just figured it was a mutation.

• Linda Hopper

These are the two plants I have with the wide stems. Overlook the dust...I live in West Texas.

, Dusty Miller with wide stem, Calendula with wide stem
  • Deb

Won't know till next spring if the lillie makes it or not. Lots of good information and humor however!!!! LOL Love it.

• Deb

Thanks for sharing Linda. Are either one of those plants what are considered perenials? The first one looks like dusty miller, not sure about the second.

• Linda Hopper

Mornin' Deb...the first is a Dusty Miller. It is a perennial that I planted last year. The other is a Calendula. An annual I planted in the Spring. My flowers really have to struggle just to "exist" in West Texas. It is so hot and dry here. I drag lots of water hoses to keep things alive. Between the heat, drought, poor water quality and our "Christmas puppy" (she is now 8 months old) only the hardy survive!

• Deb

Linda, interesting that you plant the Dusty Miller as a perennial. Here we grow them as annuals. However, a couple of years ago we had such a mild winter that it actually grew again in the spring!

• Linda Hopper

We usually have mild winters... Even the really cold spells don't last long. I had a dew plant make it through last Winter. That was a first for the dew plant. I have dusty miller in several of my flowerbeds. Some are protected from the North wind but some are not. They all made it through... January is usually our coldest month. I always look forward to February because I know the flowering trees will be in full bloom by the end of the month. Of course that results in lost fruit crops! Just one of the many joys of living in West Texas.

• Brenda Barton

Mine did the same thing this year Judy. Not near 3 doz but , it went from one per stem last year to multiple blooms this year. Happy to see it.