A Dreamy Fireplace....

This is what happened when an interior designer (ME) gets the challenge of selling her own house.. Back in January of this year 2016, I got the news about loosing my workshop because my associate was moving to Europe and the workshop was located at her home basement. So because of the economy We decided to try selling Our home and move to a house with either a workshop or an unfinished basement or with a 3/4 car garage. Well we hired a Realtor agent and put Our home for sale!

Long story short, people was intimidated about the textures of my house and the regular feedback was " Beautiful house but it will take that special buyer" over and over!! I knew they were all talking about the fireplace!! So! The 120 days contract with our realtor expired and after a not very exciting offers, We decided to stay in our home and build a new workshop in our backyard.. But again, as an Interior decorator I WAS HURT! Lol My designer Ego was mortified. I took my pencil and paper and designed the fireplace mantel of my dreams (And now hopefully the fireplace of others dreams too!!) I'm a lucky woman! Blessed with a wonderful husband and kids that ALWAYS help me with all my crazy ideas and never complains ( well, most of the time lol)

My Restoration Hardware Corbels

They once again agreed with my ideas and started the demo of the old textured but cool fireplace. ( I still think it was pretty cool!) After getting them I knew that this amazing corbels deserved a big chunky mantel and a special background... That's when my husband came along again and designed and built a gorgeous cedar mantel big and rustic enough to go harmoniously with the corbels and the brick wall and hearth I decided to add to the mantel.

Mr Felipe doing an excellent job adding brick

For the background I wanted a traditional but elegant material so I decided to add brick veneer. I went to one of our local distributors and they also recommended Us to hired Mr Felipe gor this job, so We did! He understood exactly what I was looking for to have in my firplace and He started to work the next day :) Plywood was sealed with a product to block the heat from the fireplace.. (This is why you hired an expert) Subway style brick for the wall area and herringbone shape for the now wall to wall hearth of the fireplace. ( A very long process because of the many cuts herringbone shape needs)

Brick part done!

To light up the room, I decided not to go all the way up with brick, instead, Skinylap (Small shiplap) painted in vintage white for the top! Guess what! My husband did a great job!! He installed the shiplap and I couldn't be more happier with the results!!

Here the finished room!!

Colonial Collection Castle Gate Thin Brick - Case of 50 - 7.3 SF
RoomMates RMK9050WP 28.18 Square Feet Distressed Wood Peel and Stick...

To see more: https://m.facebook.com/MLFurnitureDecor/

• Roberta Shaw

I would love to have a real fireplace but we can’t afford to have one built. I love this style and would love to build one to hold and electric fireplace. Can I use some of the same building materials you used? What should I paint it with to withstand the heat?

thank you!!

• Kelly Denoyer Russell

Wow those corbels. Did you purchase or reclaim from an old building? Beautiful Fireplace now. The before was horrid.

• Kaye Jonas

I agree...it went from bizarre to beautiful...glad she changed it...those corbels are just perfect for that new design...

• Jacqui

It's been a few years since your original post. Did you eventually sell your house or are you still there? If still there, why did you change fireplace? And, did you ever build yourself a workshop? Just curious?

• MD

Yes! Much better now than before. Those corbels are outstanding. As a realtor, we often ask our clients what's their "wow" factor in their home, sometimes it's obvious and sometimes it's not. In this case, it's very obvious. Love it! Nicely done.

• Daleen Ross

I personally liked it before! It seems like this is what you'd see in any average home in America right now, although it's beautiful, it's not near as unique!