Turn Dollar Store Glasses Into Hobnail Heirlooms

$6

I came across this project in a number of places and it just called to me. Hobnail glass is so beautiful, so elegant...and so expensive! On my quest to create high-end decor on the cheap, this faux hobnail makeover using puff paint was a must. I was so excited to watch my Dollar Store glasses turn into vintage heirlooms in just a few quick steps!
Step 1: Gather Your Materials
I was pretty psyched when I spotted these curvy glasses in the Dollar Store, so I picked up four and whisked them home. The only other materials I needed were white puff paint and glossy white spray paint.
Step 2: Cover Your Glasses with Puff Paint Spots
I applied the puff paint to my glasses in rows of little dots. I started my designs from the bottom rim up, because it was much easier to keep the dots in a straight line when I had a clear line to begin with.
Step 3: Let Glasses Dry
After you're done adding your dots, let your glasses dry for about 3 hours, until each dot is stiff and looses its tackiness.
Step 4: Spray Paint Your Glasses
I propped each glass on a paper towel roll so that the paint could cover all sides and extend all the way to the lip. If you spray paint it when it's sitting on a surface, the lip will be uneven or can end up with drip marks.
Spray in a nice even motion, going back and forth and not staying in any one area for too long. I needed to spray two to three coats in order to get perfectly even coverage, which is pretty common when working with glossy paint.
Step 5: Let Spray Paint Dry
Let the paint dry for 20 minutes after every coat. This will make your paint more durable and less likely to flake.
Once it's all dry, flip it over and add a bunch of flowers, a few pencils, or some make-up brushed.
I used mine as little retro vases and as a stunning pen holder on my desk. Everyone who passes compliments me on them!

• Dollar store glasses
  • White fabric texture paint (puffy paint)
  • Glossy spray paint

24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
15 Memorial Day Crafts

• Pam

When cleaning milk white glass lamp globes, I sprayed them with bleach cleaner and the turned a horrible orange color. I tried washing them but the ugly color still remains. Is there any way to restore them?

• Julia Cimino

After painstakingly making little dots of puff paint, I set vase aside to allow it to dry. Most of the little dots slid down and into each other. What happened? What did I do wrong? Should I just go ahead and spray paint over them?

• Lyn14528749

What is the best puffy paint to use?

• Pam-ella

The picture above shows a bottle of Tulip Slick puffy paint.

• Itsmemic

Instead of puffy paint I would use clear glass beads..glue them on then paint. Nice and round dots

• Pam

I have seen this done using hot glue dots instead of puffy paint but the glue dots can look “pointy” if you are not careful.