KrysFL
KrysFL
  • Lakeland, FL
Asked on Jun 27, 2013

What sheen for DIY chalk paint?

CKJulie Parris WildermuthKat =^.^=
+2

I want to make chalk paint using plaster of Paris. I see plenty of recipes online for the mixture but can't seem to find any that say what sheen of latex paint I should buy (I.e. flat, eggshell, satin, gloss, etc.).
Does anyone know or has anyone made this before?
Thanks!
  • Diane Sterling

I have seen satin and eggshell with a specific statement to stay away from gloss or semi-g. But I would think that flat would be wanted for distressing, especially if you wax after. But to play it safe, I am going to try my home brew with eggshell.

• KrysFL

Thanks Diane! that helps a lot. :)

• Kat =^.^=

hi there, well ive used all of the it from satin to flat, it will all work with homemade chalk paint, i think the trick for the "sheen" you want would be your final step, me i use minwax or johnsons furniture paste wax, if you wanted shiney think another finisher good luck! im sure all will turn out ok but try it on a scrap piece maybe?

• Julie Parris Wildermuth

i used satin

• CK

I use Plaster of Paris all the time for DIY chalk paint. Honestly for my purposes it doesn't matter what sheen of latex I mix it with. The Plaster of Paris seems to give just about any paint a more flat finish in the end. :-)