Mary Hill
Mary Hill
  • Laurel, MT
Asked on Jun 27, 2013

What is it...in Montana?

KayKim LankfordMarilyn Tucker
+10

This vine has been growing for a couple of years...I always pull it out believing it is a weed...it has such pretty flowers on it though.....Anybody know what it is....and why its so eaten up.....
what is it in montana, flowers, gardening
  • Luis

I believe that is a weed and is call bittersweet nighshade vines,flowers then green berries they turn bright red

• Barb Rosen

Your vine is the invasive woody nightshade or solanum dulcamara. It is considered a weed by most and the berries are toxic so be careful your children and pets don't eat them, Mary. I think I would pull it up as it spreads like crazy in most places. Here's some more info about it http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/68211/#b

• Peg

It's from the same family as potatoes, tomatoes and peppers, the nightshade family. Get rid of it, it will spread and is toxic.

• Barbara R

I've had one here in Michigan for many years...it has covered my chain link fence beautifully and every year expands another few feet. It covers up my neighbor's stinky compost pile and other nasties...I think it's great. I won't eat it, I promise.

• Emilia Cartín Meléndez

Well, I don´t know if this plant is good or bad for gardening, but I have to tell you, as a curious fact, that it grows in my backyard and I live in Costa Rica, Central America, where sunshine and rain are very hard all the year.

• Aimee Maas

looks like night shade and is poisonous so be careful.

• Maggie Lais

The name I learned was 'Deadly Nightshade', and I recommend pulling it out, and killing the roots. It will spread, and innocent animals and pets, as well as curious kids can get very sick, perhaps die from ingestion. Try Hardenbergia for a similar look .

• Dianne L

The holes...most likely snails/slugs. Some night after rainfall, get a bucket with a small amount of soapy or salty water, a flashlight and put on some snug fitting gardening gloves. Check out the leaves...you'll probably see several of the nasty little critters, which you can pick off and throw in the bucket to kill them.

• Peg

Deadly Nightshade is not the same plant, it is "atropa belldonna" opposed to Bittersweet nightshade ,"solanum dulcamara". Deadly has black berries and a much different flower and leaf, Bittersweet has red berries and a pretty purple/blue flower. Both have been used for medicinal properties and many articles were written on the dispute them being safe or toxic to consume. They are invasive none the less. Birds love the berries and seeds will be left behind in their droppings, giving life to new plants.

• Jana Shaw

A weed is only a flower out of place. ;o)

• Marilyn Tucker

It looks like a shooting star.

• Kim Lankford

I had one of these growing in my Michigan home. It does spread and it is poisonous, specially the berries. My boyfriend cut and trimmed it to look nice in the area it was at. We did not have any animals or kids to worry about eating the berries.

• Kay

It's a Shooting Star...a wild flower. I've seen these around the Missouri River.