Megan Aubrey
Megan Aubrey
  • Forest, VA

How to Clean, Prep, and Paint Vinyl Shutters

My 1960s ranch home was looking its age with its maroon shutters and maroon and cream door. It was time to try and modernize this brick house. The first step was taking down the shutters, cleaning them, and then painting them. Here's how I went about it.
Here it is with the maroon. Hello grandma.
Brick side of the house with the maroon shutters.
Vinyl side of the house with maroon shutters.
First step, hose off the shutters and scrub then with a bristle brush and soapy water.
My final cleaning was with a deglosser.
My final cleaning was with a deglosser.
Outdoor Sherwin Williams paint in black.
Make sure you have room for the shutters to dry.
I brought the shutters inside to cure for a week.
Megan Aubrey

• Kristen

What's a deglosser?

• Megan Aubrey

It is a liquid you wipe on to take off the gloss that is already on the shutters. This gives you a better surface to work with and the paint should better adhere now.

• Mommom

Is there any problem taking the shutters down? My husband seems to believe the plug covering the screw is hard to get out and once the plug is in it can't be backed out. My daughter and I want to paint her shutters and were hoping we wouldn't run into any problems since it seems like a pretty easy project.

• Shawna Bailey

It's not so difficult. And you can replace the plugs if they break.

• Megan Aubrey

We didn't have too much trouble doing this at all! It takes some time but wasn't too hard. Good luck!!

• Annie Doherty

Lovely job, your shutters look like new, the colour us so smart and crisp beautiful.

• Mindy

I’m in the process of doing this myself! We too, had old (1980s-1990s) red maroon shutters on our 1984 ranch that just weren’t working for me. So we started by replacing the front door to a six light window model. I painted the door BM’s Wythe Blue and now I’m painting the shutters BM’s Bear Creek. Our vinyl siding was probably once a lighter tan that has faded to a very very light tan (almost white) due to the years of sun exposure.

I read up on a lot of tutorials before evening attempting this (including Megan’s!) and it gave me the confidence to give it a shot! Like I mentioned, I’m in the process of doing this, so I don’t have an “after” shot to share but will be sure to come back and share the final “ after” shot once it’s done. In the meantime, here are some before and during pics to “enjoy”.