How do I get rid of running bamboo?

+16
Before I bought my house, the people who lived here before me planted running (not clumping) bamboo in the backyard, I assume for privacy since we have chain-link fences. I hate it. It's since taken over the yard, despite repeated attempts to cut it down, burn it, etc. It is also a great home to bugs, snakes, and rats, and I worry whenever my two Pomeranians start poking around in it. Any advice on how to get rid of this nuisance plant, once and for all?
q how do i get rid of running bamboo, gardening, I actually took this photo in the rain for the cardinal couple hanging out on the hammock but here you can see just some of the bamboo in the yard
I actually took this photo in the rain for the cardinal couple hanging out on the hammock, but here you can see just some of the bamboo in the yard.