Judy Willemsen
Judy Willemsen
  • Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Asked on Jun 28, 2013

Musty smells in bathroom

Lyn ThereseJudy WillemsenLinda Stone
+3

I've read that small bowl of cat litter placed in the bathroom will absorb musty smell?
  • KMS Woodworks

If you have a friend that has a cat you can definitely test it out by borrowing a cup or two of litter. Baths are notorious for this due to the extra moisture from showers etc. Air flow may pose bigger results.

• Linda Stone

Coffee absorbs smells too. Just pour out some (dry) coffee into a small bowl. I have used the coffee that comes in the filters as well. Just place on a small plate and place in the bathroom.

• KMS Woodworks

With coffee at 12 to 15 bucks a pound I'll think the cat litter is bit easier on the wallet...you could also just pick up a few scented candles...the candle may not "remove" the smell but they can displace it a bit.

• Linda Stone

Oh I agree you wouldn't want to use coffee on a routine basis. I meant for short term.

• Judy Willemsen

Thanks folks. Ended up using good ole' fashioned baking soda! Next on the list: how to get rid of rust in the toilet bowl! I'm trying to get this unused bathroom usable.

• Lyn Therese

I would clean the bathroom from top to bottom with a disinfectant or warm water, soap and just a splash of bleach. It sounds like you may have mold somewhere in the walls or floor. The bleach will disinfect the air in the bathroom also. This could still be a problem after you use cat liter or coffee. If your bathroom is on the main floor, check downstairs for mold or mildew on the support beams directly under the bathroom.