Tammy
Tammy
  • Whitewright, TX

Solar Powered Chandelier

$15.00

At the back of our property we have a secluded Picnic Area. With no electricity in this area, we always have issues with lighting, especially in the fall and winter. To solve our lighting issues, I dusted off this old chandelier and went to work giving it a beautiful makeover.
solar powered chandelier, diy, electrical, lighting, outdoor living, Solar Powered Chandelier
Solar Powered Chandelier - finished.
solar powered chandelier, diy, electrical, lighting, outdoor living, This is the chandelier before the makeover Dust off the old chandelier and remove all of the wiring and bulbs
I started my project by removing all of the wiring. Depending on the type of lighting fixture you are using, you may have to disassemble some of the pieces in order to accomplish this task. Removing the white posts is optional depending on the type of solar light you intend to use. Lastly, remove any loose debris or peeling finish from the chandelier.
solar powered chandelier, diy, electrical, lighting, outdoor living, Give it a good coat of Black Spray Paint from Rust oleum I love using this stuff because it covers extremely well and is very durable
I love using Rust-oleum Ultra Cover because it always gives good coverage. It is also fast drying, and great for indoor and outdoor projects.
I hung the chandelier from a tree limb and gave it and gave it a good first coat. Once it was dry I went over it again with a second coat, making sure that I covered any spots that I might have missed the first time. Once the chandelier is completely dry, check all around for any spots you may need to touch up. If you are satisfied, then you are ready to start adding your solar lights.
solar powered chandelier, diy, electrical, lighting, outdoor living, Photo step by step instructions More info is on my blog
I purchased some inexpensive solar lights from a "big box store". They were the type that have round stakes so you can stick them in the ground.
1. Remove the stake and discard (or use on another projects).
2. Remove the tops of your solar lights from the clear shade. (You may not be able to do this, depending on the type of solar light you are using).
3. Add a good amount of Silicone Caulking to the base of the clear shade. We used Polyseamseal by Loctite from Lowe's Home Improvement.
4. Place the clear shade on to the light fixture base.
5. Allow to dry 8 hours or overnight. Make sure that the lights stay level while drying.

6. Once the caulking is dry, add your solar light tops back on to the clear shade.
7. Hang outside to absorb the sun so the lights can charge.
8. Invite some friends over that evening to enjoy your new Solar Powered Chandelier!
UPDATE: Since June 2013, I have had my chandelier hanging outside in the Texas heat along with enduring an unusually cold winter about a year ago. One of the lights quit working (remember, these were "cheap" lights that I purchased) and I also noticed that the caulking turned an ugly brown color. After further examination, I noticed I had a few areas where the paint had come off, either due to the weather or possibly a tree branch or shrub rubbing it.
I will touch up the chandelier and add a clear satin top coat to give it added protection along with making sure it is not consistently rubbing against a branch or other object.
To reattach the solar lights (I'm replacing all of them) I will use GO2 Glue by Loctite. The product says that it is crystal clear, shock resistant, water resistant, and temperature resistant. Sounds like a product that can hold up against Texas weather.
Overall, I have been overjoyed with this project and its longevity. It has gotten many wonderful compliments from friends who have seen it and makes a wonderful center piece to our outdoor decor.
Tammy

• Nancy

If you glue the solar lamps in, how will you remove them if one quits working?

• Joan

Buy extra so you can just replace the top piece holding the solar part. Not the entire plastic pc.

• Cathy

What brand is the light? I've search Walmart online and can't find a solar light less than $5 and they don't look as nice as the ones in your photo.

• Amy15704624

Dollar General has decent little solar lights for $1.00 I've had good luck with them.

• Suzanne Cooper

Will the GO2 glue com off if I need to replace the lights

• Tammy

My glue did come off but I cannot guarantee that it will. If you want to replace the lights, just remove the top solar portion without removing the entire piece. I am sure it will be a long time before you need to replace the lights tho as mine lasted several years.

• Draha
    8 hours ago

Love it and will steal your idea! I am happy it is standing up to the Texas weather - exactly what I need! Thank you for sharing!

• Wish I knew
    31 minutes ago

I am going to try art of this only using an old lamp base with added PVC to make it taller. Then I can use anywhere on the deck, just not hanging from a tree.