Sue B
Sue B
  • Richmond, VA

Weeds

Susan McKinney CanavespeElaine SchwerinSue B
+12

Is there any type of natural weed killer?
  • Alice C

I sometimes use vinegar between the cracks in my paver patio.

• Pam

Vinegar, but it will kill other vegetation if it gets on it or in the soil.

• Walter Reeves

There is only one that can kill broadleaf weeds in a grass lawn: Bayer's Natria Lawn Weed Control. It contains chelated iron as the active ingredient.

• DeAnn L

I am not sure how well it works on everything yet but a here is one to try. One gallon of cider apple vinegar 1/2 cup of table salt and 1 teaspoon dawn dish soap mix and spray.

• Capernius

@DeAnn L Good Idea Ma'am! :) just one thing...before adding the dish soap, I would put everything in the blender to get the salt dissolved faster...pour that in to a spray bottle, THEN add the dish soap. this way it is blended together better & faster & clogs the spray bottle less if ever at all.

• Sue B

As far as the natural solutions, how much would you need to use per weed??

• Walter Reeves

wet all leaves completely; best used in the middle of a sunny afternoon

• Sue B

Walter, only the leaves?

• Walter Reeves

Sue - leaves and stems

• Walter Reeves

By the way, I talked to Lance Waldheim at Bayer Advanced last week and he pointed out that their Natria Grass and Weed Killer is an effective, organic non-selective plant killer. It contains herbicidal soap. In my experience, plants will be brown three hours after spraying on a sunny day.

• Lindcurt

Corn meal is supposed to keep seeds from sprouting. All kinds of seeds. Garden seeds as well as weed seeds. if you want to use it in a flower bed just make sure your seeds have already sprouted. Just sprinkle the corn meal on top of the soil.

• Capernius

If you make your own, make enough to put in a garden type spray bottle(the kind you have to pump up for pressure)...most of these are only 2 or 3 gallon capacity, so you would need to make 1 or 2 gallons max. As far as commercial herbicides go, most I know nothing about so I do not trust them...the few I do know about, are so toxic to the person using it, the great grandchildren of the person using it & the environment, that I would advise against it....Example: Roundup herbicide.

• Sue B

Thank you all for your help.

• Elaine Schwerin

1/2 gal. apple cider vinegar, 1/4 c salt and 2 TBSP dawn dish soap, works great and safe for children and pets

• Susan McKinney Canavespe

The above recipe should work well. Spray when it's hot.