D P
D P
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Asked on Jun 28, 2013

Cutting back Mums

D PLouise FrostYvonne McKinley
+8

I heard you could cut back mums and they wouldn't get so tall and straggly, when and how do I do this? I built this little deck and made this garden last spring, planted the flowering pear and the bush as well as transplanted divided plants from other gardens. I love sitting out here and look forward to shade and privacy as they grow. So far the tree and bush have grown 24 inches! :) $200.00 for all soil, tree, bush and deck!
q cutting back mums, gardening
q cutting back mums, gardening
q cutting back mums, gardening
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Cut them back about 1/2 midway through your warm season. For us here in zone 7b we usually do this about mid July, not sure about where you are.

When I lived in New York the rule was not to cut them back further after the Fourth of July. I 'd think the timing was about the same for you.

• Lori J

Same here.

• Jean Eickhoff

In Iowa we follow the cut by the 4th of July rule. I used to cut them back stem by stem to right above leaves, but they never looked rounded like when you buy them at the nursery. A neighbor was just cutting them like a small shrub to make them look rounded; I did that last year and got the desired look I wanted. If you don't cut them they will bloom before fall and not last as long due to there still being too much heat.

• Kat

I usually cut mine back when they have grown so much they begin to look scraggly, then I just take my garden shears and cut them back, I am in zone 7 and it seems to work well and they bloom when they are supposed to. I didn't know that their was a certain time you had to cut them back, I just did it when I thought they looked bad. I had a few years when they had gotten so tall the flowers made them fall over. Good luck with yours!

• I like to cut mine back before the flower buds form - usually around this time of year here in Southern Ontario. I also cut back my sedums so that they don't get too scraggly either.

• Mayme

Here in MI I've heard you can cut them back every two weeks from Memorial Day to 4th of July. I've done that and they bloom nicely.

• Carolyn Staat

I live here in sunny California, I just did that last week. They have no problem when you do it just wait till you see them start to look like they are going to get ready to bud. Then I just pinch their little tops off. Makes a fuller and more abundant plant.

• Yvonne McKinley

Here in Ark. I cut mine back til lth 4th of July too. I make sure tlhey are about 8 to 10 inches high by that time. So far, so good.

• Louise Frost

Thanks for all the good advice. I will try that this year with mine. I think we live in zone 6.

• D P

Thank you friends from all over our GREAT USA! Happy 4th of July to you all. I am off to cut back my mums as it seems to be the perfect day here in Michigan to do it!