Upcycled Denim Bunting 2 Ways

Whether you are celebrating the Queen's 90th birthday or the Fourth of July, I have bunting for you, made from upcycled jeans. There are 2 versions the Union Jack for the brits and Stars and Stripes for Americans.
This post is part of the Junk Revision Challenge the theme of which is patriotic.
This bunting looks fantastic and will definately be a keepsake that you will get out year after year. I first made my Union Jack version in 2012 for the Queen's diamond jubilee, I then got it out for the royal wedding the following year. It will be out again for the Queen's official 90th Birthday celebrations this weekend.
I keep all the families old jeans for upcycling projects. My most popular post is in fact a denim pocket organizer I made last year click here to see it. .
All you need to make this bunting is some old jeans (the legs) and a selection of red white and blue ribbon. The amount you need depends on the amount of bunting you want to make.
First make your denim triangles. Using a cardboard template cut out 2 triangles for each piece of bunting. The template ensures they are all the same size.
Next cut your ribbon to size depending on which flag you are making.
You can either sew the ribbon to the denim or glue with fabric Mod Podge.
To make the stars for the Stars and Stripe bunting, I cut out small ones from the white ribbon and glued them to the denim. You could also just stamp them on with a star stamp.
When your ribbon is fixed to the denim, pin right sides together with the other denim triangle.
Sew this together then turn right sides out. Sew each bunting triangle to the denim ribbon and make it as long as you need. There are more details on my blog (link at the end.)
All you need now is a party to show your bunting off.
Another one of my popular and more simple denim projects is my sunglasses case which would also make a great father's day present Click here to see it. .

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Billie

Love the idea of these .Love them .. But I have a question ,,, Where did you get your cute lil heart pins?

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

@Billie Thank you ! You can get the pins on Amazon. If you visit my blog post there is a link to them at the end of the post.

• 4156547

If your local fabric store has a "quilting section", check there, as heart pins are not always found with regular sewing notions.

• Dave Hill

How about July 1 ?, Canadians are patriotic also.!
  • Mamabear318

Very cute. I have tons of scraps of RWB fabric that I can use instead of the ribbon. Been wondering what to do with them. Thanks for sharing.