Jessica | Young At Heart Mommy
Jessica | Young At Heart Mommy
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

Patriotic Flag Frame

Incorporate Americana into your summer celebration with festive red, white, and blue decor.
patriotic flag frame, crafts, how to, patriotic decor ideas, seasonal holiday decor
This patriotic flag made with fruity candy is the perfect gift for a special soldier or to dress up your own space this season.
Gather your supplies and plug the glue gun in!
Begin by sorting your candy. The Skittles American Mix contains five patriotic colors so organizing them before you start will make the process much easier. There are two different shades of red (strawberry and raspberry) but for the sake of efficiency, keep them together when separating. They will be used to create your stripes later on and the two tones together make it pop!
While your glue gun is warming up, line up your skittles on the edge of the paper to make sure you have enough room to fit your stripes. If you're using a 12X12 frame and your paper is the same size, I basically did the work for you! If not, this will tell you if your stripe colors should be single lines or doubled up. Since I had enough room, I decided to make them thicker and use two strands of color for each.
Cut a 6 X 7 square out of blue paper. This will be the corner of your flag. The blue color in the background will make the candy stand out.
Use a hot glue gun to attach rows of blue skittles (wild berry and blackberry) onto the square. The design in which you choose is totally up to you, just make sure they're all blue!
Continue the same process when forming the stripes of the flag using the white and both shades of red.
Once finished, spray the flag with a thin coat of clear acrylic paint or layer of mod podge to preserve. Then carefully place the candy encrusted paper into your frame and hang it up for the world to see!

• Skittles American Mix  (Amazon)
  • 12X12 frame or shadow box  (Target)
  • 12X12 sheet of white scrapbook paper  (Michael's)
Jessica | Young At Heart Mommy

• Maude LaFountain

Yep beads or buttons works for me ...too ...cause I am going to eat those Skittles .....lol....Cute project though I do like it

• Bbrown53

Make it edible ! Use royal icing or sugar cookie icing to attach to a food safe tray so you can pick them off and eat. Or use this to top an iced 9 x13 cake. Love the idea - very cute - I didn't know about patriotic skittles but I will be on the look out for the fourth!