Michael W
Michael W
  • Saint Marys, PA

DIY Vertical Succulent Planter

Making some basic 2x4s look old with some paint and stencils, I created my very own vertical garden for planting hens and chicks (succulents). Once the frame fill out I'll have a living work of art! Full details of the project are on my blog Inspired by Charm: http://www.inspiredbycharm.com/2012/04/outdoor-shelves-part-two-framed-hens.html
Vertical Planter
Vertical Planter
Hens and Chicks
Hens and Chicks
Planting the Vertical Garden
Planting the Vertical Garden
Michael W

• Suzy Q

Can you make a small one for indoors?

• Dee

How do you keep the dirt from falling out?
    Love it!

• Heather Kuder

Hey Micheal so what best place outdoor to place succulent plants? Mostly shade, full sun?

• Moma Walker

I'm a little (or a lot) confused. I love succulents and air plants. I want to start growing both but different people have told me that I need dirt in the succulents and not in the air plants, and some people have told me that I would need dirt in both of them. I was also told that air plants live exactly on that--air. To buy a small glass container and put the air plant in that and it will survive on its own. Please someone HELP. Please get all of this straightened out for me so I can go buy me a couple of each and enjoy them.

• Lad10636376

I am in the process of making a faux living wall on our balcony. We get strong winds at times and living plants create a huge mess. I am using a variety of faux succulents from Michael's and the resin planter is from Wayfair. I chose the arched top because we have a Mexican theme on the balcony. Will post the finished product.