DIY Vertical Succulent Planter

Making some basic 2x4s look old with some paint and stencils, I created my very own vertical garden for planting hens and chicks (succulents). Once the frame fill out I'll have a living work of art! Full details of the project are on my blog Inspired by Charm: http://www.inspiredbycharm.com/2012/04/outdoor-shelves-part-two-framed-hens.html
Vertical Planter
Hens and Chicks
Planting the Vertical Garden
Michael W

• Suzy Q

Can you make a small one for indoors?

• Dee

How do you keep the dirt from falling out?
    Love it!
  • Heather Kuder

Hey Micheal so what best place outdoor to place succulent plants? Mostly shade, full sun?

• Anita Springer

Most like full sun.

• Shelly Carver

these guys really thrive on NEGLECT. crazy right?!

they do not enjoy sitting in water or wet soil.

i actually have seen mine go to the tall, reeaally tall (phalic looking) stage and flower! purples, greens and just gorgeous!

thank you for the DIY idea! im headed out back to create one right now.

• Bobbie Hurley

I had my succulents planted in the sun. Some in the shade.. Both did great..

• Jo

I am in the process of making a faux living wall on our balcony. We get strong winds at times and living plants create a huge mess. I am using a variety of faux succulents from Michael's and the resin planter is from Wayfair. I chose the arched top because we have a Mexican theme on the balcony. Will post the finished product.

• Jackson

Hello from Germany. This is an idea I love ! I had an old rabbit cage which more or less went to shambles. The only "good" thing left, were the doors with the exact same wire mesh, that you have used. I placed the doors flat on the wire mesh, filled it first with life moss (the green side to the mesh), then with soil and nailed ply wood on top. To plant my succulents I cut three sides of a square of four squares of the wire mesh, then you can lift it up to place the plants and once they are safely in there, just bent the wire mesh back around them. Since it is still on hold on one small wire line, it holds perfectly. With the moss the soil keeps in place. I have them hanging on my garage wall, and I water them every once in a while with the garden hose. No loss of soil, they grow perfectly and even bloomed. I used screws and dowels that are basically for kitchen cabinets, because the frames got very heavy.

And I love it everyday