Anna Ibarra
Anna Ibarra
  • San Antonio, TX
Asked on Jun 28, 2013

Mountain Laurel Problem ??

Anna IbarraNancy J GoldwireSusan O
+7

I have these 2 mountain laurels that fences slightly our upper deck.
However, I am not sure what these are? They don't look pretty and last year I had worm problems and I sprayed the trees. These bloom during early spring here and that's it. What shall I do? Any easy suggestions ??
They are big heavy like.
They are big heavy like.
They are not pretty looking.
They are not pretty looking.
q mountain laurel problem, gardening
q mountain laurel problem, gardening
q mountain laurel problem, gardening
??
??

Anna, those are the bean pods your tree produces after flowering. Texas mountain laurel (Sophora secundiflora) is not a true mountain laurel, which are in the genus Kalmia. It is actually in the pea family, which is why it produces those pods. You should be aware that the flowers and the seeds are quite poisonous. See more from Texas A&M here: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/nativeshrubs/sophorasecund.htm

• Exa H

Ohhhh, but the blooms smell devine!!

• Debby Boyle

I would definitely cut them out!

• Anna Ibarra

Douglas once again, thanks so much for the link and great info. They sure look so pretty when it blooms. I have cut them out Debby, cause of our small dog. I prefer not to mess with that and have him sick or worst.

• Vickie Lanham

the seeds are poison luckily they are very hard.it is worth the trouble to cut the seedpods off when they start to form.p.s. I agree they smell wonderful

• Cathe

I love their smell...........I have maybe a 100 year old one in my yard..........love it.

• Susan O

The flowers smell like bubblegum. But they are so short lived in spring time.

• Nancy J Goldwire

Most folk would "die" for those Mtn Laurel you are not liking! The spring blooms smell like grape kool-aide, heavenly. The seed pods can easily be removed with shears. If you don't like the shape, simply prune them to look more appealing. Or, as a last resort, offer them to a neighbor!!! Someone will come & take them off your hands!

• Anna Ibarra

@Nancy J Goldwire -Nancy, I was referring to the pods that I didn't like the way they looked. I love the trees. Unfortunately, I took them down, mainly because they were right outside my back french doors and were growing oddly underneath my deck that was built around the trees. I loved the looks, but all the branches growing from below were growing upward thru the deck. Too narrow to go underneath to trim, etc. It was always a mess,leaves would get blown in the house, messy & could never keep it clean for us to sit. So when my new deck had to be replaced I decided to go with a new deck and pergula that the trees couldn't be saved. A friend wanted them, but it worked out. I have so more in my yard in the side and front.

• Anna Ibarra

Thank all for your help, and yes it help me.