Enclosing the Back Porch With Raised Garden Beds

$1000

My back yard got a major makeover with the addition of raised garden beds to enclose my back porch. The porch was pretty plain before, without much curb appeal. I decided that I wanted some raised beds to grow herbs and veggies without having to bend over to harvest my crops. I worked with a local landscape company- Doc and Eric Hurt of Landscape 360 out of Birmingham Alabama- to come and build these raised beds for me out of 100% cedar. You can see pics of the process below.
enclosing the back porch with raised garden beds, curb appeal, decks, gardening, raised garden beds, woodworking projects
Here is the area before construction began.
During construction- they added the cedar underpinning around the perimeter of the deck to serve as the back of the raised bed.
Here is how they worked around the support post.
And then it was all enclosed!
This project took them about 1.5 days to complete.

Ready to see the big reveal? Come visit my blog to see the finished project!
enclosing the back porch with raised garden beds
And finally, here is the before and after of the finished project. My veggies and herbs are growing happily and already producing a little crop for me. I'm excited to see how these do all summer long!

Click the link below to see the final reveal!

Beth at Unskinny Boppy

• Debbie Nelson-Scheffler

Are you concerned with the wood rotting?

• Sheila

Can you plant bushes - like hydrangeas, maybe a small holly?If so, what about drainage?should the bottom be left open, or maybe some support type slats to allow for the roots?

• Linda

Do you have specific how to plans. We want to add this to our porch but we're wondering if you had a step by step plan at all.

• Suzanne Martin

Now hook up some soaker hoses to that downspout and divert it into your planting beds!

• Janice

I'we been wanting to cover the underside of our porch and have raised garden, too. This is a great solution. Just wondering, for folks that aren't the gardening type, would this work as a storage/seating area?