DIY Two Tone Mercury Glass Milk Bottle Vases

I'm sure you've seen a bunch of milk bottle vase tutorials, but you probably haven't seen this version! Create a two toned set of milk bottle vases with recycled glass.
I save a bunch of glasses in my home. I have all sorts of glasses and love to create upcycled projects with them. I even created a World Market inspired hanging succulent jars from baby food jars. You can see that post here.
For these recycled milk glasses, which you can also buy from the craft store if you wish, I used a combination of techniques. I created a mercury glass effect on the bottom, and then a brushed textured gold color on the top.
It's so easy to make these glass vases. Each glass was taped off at various heights with the upper portion covered with paper. The mercury glass look is very easy to achieve using Mirror Effect spray paint (buy here) and a spray bottle of equal parts vinegar and water.
There are different diy mercury glass tutorials out there in the blogosphere, but I prefer spraying the glass with the vinegar/water solution first followed by the mirror effect spray paint onto the wet glass. This restricts the bonding of the paint to the glass where the vinegar/water solution is. It almost looks like silver bubbles.
While the first coat of the mirror effect spray was drying, I spritzed the vinegar/water spray again followed by another coat of the mirror effect spray paint. Remove the tape while the paint is still wet then allow to dry. I brushed on the DecoArt Elegant Finish gold paint on the unsprayed areas of the glass.
I love how the bottle vases turned out. I think I may need to do a larger vase in the future! If you're a copper or silver fan, just replaced the gold paint with your favorite metallic color. These vases could also be used as a craft supply holder, makeup brush organizer, or for kitchen tools! Where would you use these two toned milk glasses?

• Glass bottles  (recycled or craft store)
  • Gold paint  (craft store)
  • Mirror effect spray paint  (craft store)

The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
15 Memorial Day Crafts
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
Stephanie @ Casa Watkins Living

• Anita K

So pretty! Love the gold and silver combos! Not only is it pretty, it is practical: the silver base will camouflage stems and your beautiful design will remain cohesive! Love!

• @Anita K Exactly! Thats what I love about these vases. You can even tie some ribbon on them for holiday events! Can you imagine these with festive ribbon on a Christmas tablescape?!

• Judi mccloughan

Love this. Going to give this a try. Thank you