Louise
Louise
Asked on Jun 28, 2013

Last fall a neighbor gave me some amaryllis bulbs. I never got around

LouiseDouglas HuntNancy Hand
+5

to planting them and this is what I have now on my back deck. They're sitting in this plastic pot on top of soil. I have little sun so I wonder if I plant them in a place in the front yard that gets some afternoon sun if they'll do OK.
last fall a neighbor gave me some amaryllis bulbs i never got around, gardening
  • Kathy Smith

yes they should I have 4 that came back from last year and they only get a couple hours of sun

• Nancy Hand

Yep they will do fine!

Plant away!

• Louise

Back to these plants --- I planted them way late last spring. Only one formed a stem (in the fall) and it had one very pretty bloom. What do I do with the plants now? Do I leave them in the ground, cut the green parts off, dig them up, or what? Is fall when they normally bloom or was mine a late bloomer since I planted the bulbs so late?

Amaryllis are marginally winter-hardy in your part of Georgia, so whether you leave them in the ground or not depends on how much of a risk taker you are. If they are in the ground and get to be on a normal schedule, they should bloom in May. You should remove the stalk where the bloom was, but leave the rest of the foliage. That is what is feeding the bulb to bloom again. If you do decide to leave them in the ground, make sure you mulch heavily. More tips via Walter Reeves here: http://www.walterreeves.com/gardening-q-and-a/amaryllis-outdoor-care/

• Louise

Thanks. I'll put mulch on them today because it's cold. I noticed a day or so ago that one of the plant's leaves look like the cold shriveled them. Does that mean it's a goner?

@Louise No, the foliage is going to die back in the winter. The mulch is to protect the bulb, not the leaves.

• Louise

Wellll, I feel dumb. :-) The mulch should cover only the ground and not the leaves. Hmmmm. I'll run outside and take care of that. :-)