Alex
Alex
  • Orlando, FL

St. Augustine Grass

Richard BellAlexAlethea S
+5

I know, I know....There ain't no seed....BUT, I've seen ads for Scott's Turf Builder EZ seed that guarantees grass growth. I am not prepared to replace the brown/bare areas with sod at this point but would like to "fill-in" with something. The EZ seed comes in different types namely regular, tall Fescue and Bermudagrass. Question: If I decide to seed (any Brand) what type of seed would you suggest? I am NOT necessarily looking for a match since I will eventually be re-doing the entire lawn, just a temporary fill for the bare spots. AS ALWAYS, many thanks.
  • Jean M

you know, I have St. Augustine grass in my yard, well, really a mixture, mostly St. Augustine and some sort of what I call "crap" grass...I like the St. Augustine better...anyway, I've pulled up St. Augustine, with the root intact from places on the edge and replanted it in a brown patch area..it'll take root and eventually fill in the spot...just takes a while. If I had to make a choice on a filler, I'd choose the Bermudagrass...

• Alex

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

At the rate St. Augustine spreads, I would definitely cut little squares out from a healthy spot and transplant them to a bare spot, as Jean suggested. Or you can buy plugs. If you want to seed, your choices are probably limited to centipede or Bahia.

• Alex

Thanks. I'll try the transplants.

• Michelle J

There are patches you can buy at the hardware store instead of sod.

• Alethea S

Tall Fescue is nearly impossible to get rid of once planted. I has to be dug out. It's not barefoot friendly nor is it especially attractive. It's good points are - it's very nature discourages weeds and it has no insect issues. If you seed with it, you won't have to sod. But, if you choose to sod, you'll still have tall fescue coming up through your prettier grass.

• Alex

Michelle J.....Didn't know that.....Thanks. Alethea S.....Thanks for the Fescue info.

• Richard Bell

Hi, how big are the bare areas? The folks that installed my St Augustine sod are pretty reasonably priced for individual pieces of St. Augustine sod. There local store here in Ocala sell by the piece anything that is left over from a sod job. They are $1.30 per piece (24'' X 18"). I recently replaced some areas that I had over watered and killed the new sod. To me, the price was quite reasonable and I purchased 40 pieces to fix what I had killed. It quickly took root and blends in quite nicely with the rest of the lawn. SOD Central on SW Hwy 200 in Ocala. I am sure your local SOD dealers will have the same thing. I had looked into the Scotts EZ seed for St. Augustine, but our local Lowe's website say they have it, but it is never in stock when you get to the store.