Walter Reeves
Walter Reeves
  • Decatur, GA

Making daylilies bloom again

Several varieties of daylily (Stella d'Oro, Blackeyed Stella, Happy Returns, etc) are known as reblooming daylilies. Their first bloom period is just about over here in GA. To encourage further blooming, immediately remove the seed pods, if present, and fertilize with liquid plant food. This will encourage the growth of new leaves, new tubers and new flower stems!
clip off the whole seed stem
clip off the whole seed stem
last few blooms on Stela d'Oro
last few blooms on Stela d'Oro

• Joanne Scallion

Do the seed pods have seeds in them that can reproduce?

• Debbie Testin

I'm almost positive that they do have seeds in them and that they can be reproduced.

• Mikkigirl

Division is the most common way to get new plants. Day lilies reproduce by underground runners.

• Sue Kiene

They do have seeds in them. If you are removing them immediately after blooming they may not have matured enough to produce new plants. If I want to start new ones I wait and let them dry out a fair amount before I take them off. Then I put them in a good soil medium and make sure that they get special attention for a while. It will take a while before they are big enough to produce flowers but well worth the wait. You can also if you allow them to dry out keep them for the spring.

• Cynthia Renfrow

I have had Stella Dora's before, but I have never ha d this happen before. This is their second year, beautiful blooms which I trim as usual. Blooming stopped, wasn't worried figured I had to wait a little. Went away for the weekend, came home to find the plants laying down. The leaves just spread out and are laying down on the ground like something pushed them down. Just want to make sure I have considered everything. Before blooming I had yellow leaves, I pulled out and let the rain water them. I stopped watering. Then I got the blooms. Yellow leaves stopped. When you first saw it I thought great a rabbit or some critter later on the plants. All three plants are in different places. Not the same places. I do have moles, could moles cause this.
  • Cynthia Renfrow

I asked about Stella's laying down here is a picture.
    , I do have a few new growth coming up out of the middle

• Eroque022810

I thought I killed mine. I have killed hostas. I'm obviously not a gardener yet. Thanks for the hope for my lilies.

• Linda Page Clark

Remove finished blooms each day, including the ovary at the very base of bloom. Then when last bloom has finished, cut stem at ground. Don't let seed pods form. Do this on all daylilies.....not just Stellas and you'll find that quite a few of them give you more blooms. Feeding is also important.