Sheila Bowden
Sheila Bowden
  • Madison, MS

Greenhouse - Built for Less Than $700

My husband loves to build things and is very resourceful. This past fall, as an anniversary/birthday gift, he built me a greenhouse out of mostly leftovers from other projects that we, and family, had stored away.
The size is 8' x 10' and 8' high. With the angle of the roofline, we're going to add a hanging rod this year before fall sets in. Old storm door we had in storage for front door.
Backside view. the little window is new material. Right now it has 2 layers of heavy plastic above the metal siding. When that wears out, we'll replace with the same thing we used on the roof, Sun-tuf panels bought at Lowe's.
Walls going up ! Most of the lumber we already had from other projects. Bought pressure treated lumber for base.
Side panels going up. These were gifted to us by a brother-in-law from some of his leftovers !
Sun-tuf  panels going up.for the roof. Sure was glad to have family that doesn't mind helping out !
Sun-tuf panels going up.for the roof. Sure was glad to have family that doesn't mind helping out !
Covering the sides, inside and out, with heavy plastic. Black plastic on ground to kill grass. Replaced with landscape fabric now to let water drain through. Concrete stepping stones for flooring inside.
Inside, we used styrofoam panels for insulation in the lower walls and more leftover metal panels to finsh walls. That's leftover wood that my husband cut up and made into shelving that could drain water.
Remote weather station in my kitchen window. Top temp tells me what it is in greenhouse. Ran extension cord and placed small heater inside with timer for winter. Easy to adjust temp with MS winter weather that flucuates !

• Ruth H

Love this! My husband built me a potting shed/greenhouse years ago when we lived in Illinois. After it was painted green for many years, he painted it a dusty blue. My granddaughter,who was quite small at the time told me it wasn't a greenhouse any more, because her Papa painted it blue!

• Barbara Straczynski

Love this, great job!!!!!!!