Tom
Tom
  • Decatur, GA
Asked on Jun 29, 2013

Anyone know what this grass is?

Pauliegirl1MaryNancy Hand
+4

The more emerald colored grass is centipede that I patched in last year. I'm now wondering what the more faded grass is as I always thought it was centipede. It has runners like centipede. This grass was in this yard when we bought the house n 1992. The grass may be from when the house was built in '54. We have a service fertilize.
q anyone know what this grass is, gardening, landscape

Have you asked your lawn service?

• Maureen O'Donovan

Is this a recent picture? or was it taken in early spring? Bermuda is a popular grass in your area, but it should be a lot greener by now.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

it appears to be bermuda, but it would be nice to have a larger area of the lawn in context.

• Irysh

I'm in Chicago and it looks like Zoysia grass to me...zoysia will stay brown in the spring and then slowly green up and stay green until the late fall, when it browns up again for its dormancy in the winter. It is a wonderfully hardy lawn and works well in my area...I do not know what its stages would be in Georgia...it probably has a shorter dormancy period of the year but that is just a guess on my part. You might want to google zoysia to see pics and find more info.

• Nancy Hand

I thought Bermuda too Donna! I need to see the blade better. Atlanta area can grow several different kinds of turf.

• Mary

It looks like Bermuda grass

• Pauliegirl1

iF ITS CENTIPEDE GRASS, YOU MAY HAVE SPIDDLE BUGS....MY BROTHERS WHOLE YARD GOT WIPED OUT BECAUSE OF THESE BUGS!! WE HAVE CENTIPEDE AND HAVE OUR LAWN GUY SPRAY FOR THEM TWICE A YEAR....THEY ARE TERRIBLE AND LOVE CENTIPEDE GRASS!!! COULD BE THE REASON FOR THE DIFFERENT COLOR??