Plain Old Chair Until a Little Mexican Inspiration Hits!

I had been wanting to do a "planter chair" for a while and finally found just the right chair to start with.
Check out some of my other projects at:
https://www.facebook.com/JansGardenArt/
plain old chair until a little mexican inspiration hits , container gardening, gardening, how to, painting, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects
This is how I got this girl. Not in bad shape - but she's in definite need of a make over.
She had some paint chips that needed to come off - So I used Citristrip (safe for indoor use - no harsh fumes).
Dabbed the Citristrip on with a toothbrush to just the areas that needed paint removed. (I used it for spot use on this project - but I've also used it on full pieces. I love this stuff!)
Stripping done but still a bit of a "hot mess". Time for sanding.
Sanded this baby down starting with coarse, then medium, then finally fine grade sandpaper. I didn't "fix" any of her natural "aging" (in other words - I did not fill any cracks or splits - I wanted this girl to look aged, but HOT!)
I determined how big the hole should be....sized it up.
My husband cut the hole out for me. Time to sand the hole.
Checked to make sure the sizing was right by inserting the pot. Time to paint!
I used Valspar Color Radiance spray paint (it's paint & primer in one & drip free) in Flat White to cover the chair.
I then painted the accents, added a few final touches and voila! My Mexican inspired planter chair!

• Citristrip  (Lowe's)
  • Valspar Color Radiance Flat White  (Lowe's)

• MHRooster

What kind of accent paint did you use and did you seal the paint?

• Jan's Garden Art

I used Valspar color samples to paint the details and yes, the chair is sealed.

• Carol

Love the decoration on the chair back. Did you paint that by hand or is it a decal or stencil?

• Christine

That looks really nice. What did your husband use to cut the whole?

• Jan's Garden Art

A Jigsaw and then he smoothed it out with a dremel. Circle was drawn using a compass.

• Neva Dew

Jan, your project is great - cute and useful at the same time. But I am sitting here almost laughing out loud at myself because the first thought that popped into my mind when I saw the photo with the round hole before the chair was painted was that it was a fancy outhouse seat!! LOL

• Laurie Laurent-Hyland

Pretty!