Penny Copper Roof Birdhouse

234K Views
My grandmother gave me a box of pennies to cover my bathroom floor some years ago. When I decided to sell my home an interesting floor didn't seem like it would appeal to all buyers so I went with tile instead! I thought it would be nice to give the pennies back and since she was hoping I'd make something with them I decided to maker her a copper roofed birdhouse for her backyard!
  • penny copper roof birdhouse, crafts, outdoor living, pets animals
First you'll need to find a good quality birdhouse that will last outside. Most from craft stores are made from thin craft plywood and are only meant for indoors. This one is sturdy and the wood is thick and it will do well in the elements.
First paint your house a base color. I used a leftover color sample from another project.
Go over your initial color with white chalk paint and distress with a wire brush/sandpaper. For even more age wood stain can add "dirt" to the look. Be sure not to overuse or the whole thing will look quite dirty!
Grab those pennies. If you want only a bright and shiny roof you can clean your pennies with a scrub made from baking soda and vinegar.
Paint or stain your roof and then attach your pennies.
For more information, including the supplies I used including where I purchased my sturdy birdhouse and the glue that worked best for gluing the pennies to the roof, I hope you'll visit the blog post linked below!

Suggested materials for this project:

Allison Murray