DIY Goldfish in a Bag Soaps

Learn how to make these DIY goldfish in a bag soaps for a fun addition to your bathroom or to give as party favors!
These DIY goldfish in a bag soaps are so cute and they look like a snap to make. However, as I discovered when I made these the first time, they are a little trickier than I had anticipated and it took me a few tries to get them perfect.
For all of my tips on getting your DIY goldfish in a bag soaps right on your first attempt, be sure to visit the original post for this DIY on my blog, Soap Deli News, here for all the tips as well as direct links to suppliers and materials you'll need for this project.
This project yields one goldfish in a bag soap.
Begin by weighing out the suspension soap base. Cut it into small chunks - so it melts more quickly at a lower temperature - and heat at 50% power in the microwave until almost completely melted through. (Alternately you can use a double boiler.) Watch the soap carefully so it doesn't overheat. If it starts to bubble, remove it immediately from the heat source to avoid overheating.
Now weigh out the fragrance oil using the plastic transfer pipette to add the fragrance directly to the soap base. The pipette will keep you from accidentally adding too much fragrance and keep the fragrance from sliding down the side of the jar. Stir well.
Allow the soap to cool slightly, until a think layer of soap starts to solidify on top of the soap. Mix the soap again then slowly pour the soap into a bag. Be careful to pour the soap directly into the center of the bag so it doesn't hit the sides going down. You may want to stop partially through the process to readjust the bag. If you don't have a steady hand, place the bag in a dish that will hold the bag and still keep it slightly upright.
Place your goldfish in the bag and use a pipette or chop stick to press the fish in the desired position against the very front of the bag. Leave the pipette in the bag to hold the fish in place until the fish stays in place upon removing the pipette.
For a wider based bag, leave the soap to cool with the bag open, then tie closed once the soap has solidified completely. Otherwise, gently gather the top of the bag while the soap is still soft and tie off with baker's twine or ribbon. This will move the soap up the bag and create a slightly narrower base. I did mine both ways and it's really just personal preference.
Mix it up. For "colored" water, add a pinch of superfine emerald green or Caribbean blue glitter when you add the fragrance. You can also substitute the fragrance oil for another of your choice, but be sure it has 0% vanilla and is clear, not yellow.
To use these soaps, simply peel off the plastic and scrub away!
For even more homemade melt and pour soap recipes, visit Soap Deli News blog here.

Rebecca D. Dillon

• Ljk1357931

Where did you get the fish?

• Rebecca D. Dillon

I link to the suppliers in the original blog post and provide additional tips on how to make sure you get your fish soaps perfect the first time. You can find them at various places online however.

• Clou77

Where can you get the small vinyl goldfish?

• Linda

I found some on Amazon....just enter into the search bar.

• Rebecca D. Dillon

I bought mine from WSP. If you visit the original blog post I direct link to suppliers. There are also some really very valuable tips there and more information on how to make these soaps and get them right the first time so you don't waste materials by trial and error.

• Clou77

Thanks Rebecca! That really helped!

• Chardon Lynn

where do u get the vinyl fish 🐠 from?

• Tvevurka

small vinyl goldfish Oriental trading 144 Pc for $8.00

• Tvevurka

Oriental trading 144 pc gold fish $8.00

• Tvevurka

Oriental trading 144 pc $8

• Kathy

Does the soap come out of the bag easily?

• Susan

Where did you get the bags? Why wouldn't vanilla scent work? Can essential oils be used?

• Rebecca D. Dillon

If you visit the original post here: http://soapdelinews.com/2014/04/diy-goldfish-in-a-bag-soap-tutorial-for-kids.html you can find links directly to suppliers as well as tips on what kinds of alternate bags to buy/not buy and other really great tips to help you get these right the first attempt. You can use eo's at half the amount of the fragrance oil. I would not use vanilla as it will turn your soap brown. The same goes for all fo's with vanilla.

• Millies_mom47

However I have clear vanilla I bought in Mexico when I was there. And I have seen clear Vanilla in a grocery store so you should be able to use clear vanilla with out any problems I would think. ;)

• Dodi McClellan Nolly

The scent is like the 0cean where many fish live.

• Donna

Any idea what the final cost comes out to be for each?

• Rebecca D. Dillon

It just depends on where you purchase supplies from. Obviously buying in bulk will greatly reduce the cost.

• Robin McDaniel Hooser

Where did you get the goldfish?

• Enolac

I have asked the same question

• Robin McDaniel Hooser

They can’t be real right??? I mean it’s soap

• Tam 15076171

where she list the products she used it said vinyl goldfish

• R

You might be able to find the fish at Party City or some type of store like that. They have lots of little items you would use to make kid's party bags.

• R

Also online at Oriental Trading Company $9.99 for 144. I know that's probably too many though. We used to order prizes for our school's fun fair from there. You could give out the extras for Halloween.

• Cindy Davis

Amazon 144 for under $10. You can put a couple of fish in one bag.

• San

How many soaps does one order of the soap suspension make?

• Rebecca D. Dillon

The recipe makes one goldfish in a bag soap. You can increase the recipe for the number of soaps you'd like to make. However, I recommend making them one at a time.

• Julie Ann

I see it says vinyl goldfish......good. I cant think of meaner things people do, like using real goldfish in projects......glad you clarified it was vinyl goldfish

• Beverly Davis

sounds like a good thing to do with my grand daughters when pandemic subsides