Annette Keeling
Annette Keeling
  • Dallas, TX
Asked on Jun 29, 2013

Killing Blade Grass in Garden

Annette KeelingH.C. Lawn360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
+7

Not sure who responded to my question about killing blade grass in the garden and suggested using vinegar. First thanks for your help well we tried that and it still came back so now not sure what to do. Just wondering in the fall if I should use chemicals use the tiller, and if so do you think a year would be long enough for the chemicals to go down deep enough and plant the following year? Would appreciate some help please. Thanks

I'm not sure what your original question was, Annette, but, unless you want to have an organic garden, you could use an herbicide in the fall. Check the label. There should be information on when it is safe to plant after use.

• Annette Keeling

My original post was, I needed to know what I could use in my garden to kill blade grass. I applied landscape cloth, but it crawl through it, I pull lots of it and use vinegar even put down cardboard and leaves on top for the winter. When we removed it... the grass was there brown never had to tackle anything like this.Thanks Douglass really trying not to not use Chemicals but this Blade grass comes back like crazy. I'll try that because I need to have the raised beds raised more to protect my back. Thanks again. I must say this is an "AWESOME Site" and I Appreciate everyone help.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

@Annette Keeling can you take a picture of the grass in question and the area that you are trying to clean up? What do you have there right now? I am trying to figure out why you are thinking of waiting until fall to try the chemical approach.

• Annette Keeling

Okay, these are pictures.

killing blade grass in garden, gardening, A picture of the blade grass in garden, Another picture when it was really crazy Having issues with my camera and unable to take one today However I did weed it down last week and looks like lots of the grass is dying A person suggest to use Pine straw Mulch, Before glass took over
  • Annette Keeling

To tell the truth I really don't want to use chemicals. Think I will try the pine straw first to see what happens.Thanks

• Annette Keeling

Thanks to everyone for all your help.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Ah..Ok so you converted an area that had grass to a vegetable garden. I think I would cover with thick layers of newspaper and then cover with the pinestraw. Do a light deprivation to get you through to fall, then use a weed killer on it.

• Annette Keeling

It was not an area with grass it was a raise bed we had a great season with veggies see picture. we covered with with newspaper and cardboard for the winter. When we removed it the grass was still there. And pictures show how it grew. We will use the Tiller and plant later. I appreciate everyone help.

killing blade grass in garden, gardening, Veggies growing, Raised bed before before planting veggies
  • H.C. Lawn

black plastic contractor trash bags grade . Looks small area or A Agway OR Blue Seal Feed store should have rolls.50 x 100 will hold back grass and weeds but does not allow water to pass threw that is why they use weed block fabric . When we plant tomatoes we lay down the black plastic cut stars in plastic where plant is going . just pick it up at end growing season and till soil and again in spring before planting .. you can cover all that center area just leave a foot wide strip where plants are then you only need to weed where plants are and you can cover that to plant with newspaper ect vs hole weed or till all season

• Annette Keeling

WOW FANTASTIC, Thanks because I really didn't want to use chemicals, will check it out at the feed Stores here in Dallas. Thanks again H.C.have a great day Again thanks so much for everyone help.