Deb Foglia
Deb Foglia
  • Farmingdale, NJ

DIY Porch Sign

This is as easy as you can imagine. A simple porch sign made from a print out I created on Picmonkey.
diy porch sign, crafts, outdoor living
First I created this print out on PicMonkey, Creating my own words and fonts. If you haven't heard, Staples makes a great and easy print for cheap! I swung by my local Staples and had them print this for me in a 3'x3' format. From there I had a 1/4" plywood cut down to size to Modpodge this to the board.
diy porch sign, crafts, outdoor living
Once the paper was sealed to the board and dried, it began to bubble a bit. This was my first time using mod podge, so I was freaking out. Fortunately, I had a Plan B (as always). I really wanted the piece to seem rustic and as though the words were on a piece of wood, so I embraced the bubbles. I began to take my dark wax out and added strokes to the paper. The imperfections began to show, but to my benefit. Before I knew it, it looked like a rustic piece. I added the frame, used the same dark wax to match, and had the hubby hang to the front porch.
diy porch sign, crafts, outdoor living
Using a printed paper helps to make this easy, rather then stenciling each of those words. You must have a covered porch though, since this is still paper and if it is in a place where it can get wet...it won't work! I think it adds such character to the space and really grounds that area of the porch that felt "naked". Happy Porch Days"
diy porch sign, crafts, outdoor living
Follow along as I add to the Curb Appeal of my Home.
Deb Foglia

• Marion Shally

Where do you buy the dark wax? Love the sayings. Do you think if this is under a covered patio it would hold up ?

• Tina

Did you do anything to weather proof this? I would love to make this for my parents in Iowa.

• Deb Foglia

I did not Tina! Fortunately where it is on my porch it hasn't been an issue. I can't speak for everyone's home...but I haven't had a problem and it's been up for a year and a half.