A Little Garden Walkway Out of Pallet Boards

1 Day

Desiring a way to walk from my driveway to the lawn, I decided a chunk of flowerbed had to go... and instead, created this easy pallet wood walkway in just a couple of hours!
These planks were found in a pile of pallet wood rubble. The slightly thicker boards make water run off a dream.
They haven't been treated with anything, and are still going strong 3 years and counting!
Here's how I did it:
Welcome to my little pallet wood garden walkway! Doesn't this resemble a beach boardwalk? Very simple to make!
Here is the before shot. I desired to reach the lawn from the driveway. So let's get to work!
Removing a few shrubs was the first step. Then new soil was placed, so it would be nice and workable around the boards.
Each plank was positioned into the soil for stability. A few plants and rocks later, it was done.
There is no sealer on this walkway. It's shown while wet. But you could certainly seal it with something outdoor durable.
This is the walkway at 3 years old!
Be sure to click the link below to see the full tutorial.
And here's another! A TWO PALLET WALKWAY HERE

Funky Junk Interiors - Donna

• Pea4943303

How do I get free pallets??

• Lis1839073

I got my free pallets when they were building a house across the street from me. They were throwing them away in a portable dumpster. I also see them behind businessess. Hope this helps.

• Maggie Gallagher

yes hard to get in Nova Scotia for free, but i snagged 2 yesterday and hope to make my raised garden in them .love the boardwalk..

• Leslie Milne

Ask hardware stores or anywhere they get heavy shipments.

• Beth Jones

My local Lowes stores always has a plie of them behind thier store.

• Diana

Look for pallets marked with HT ...means it is heat treated not chemical treated, safe to use indoors....

• Mkp10349128

Stores that sell rocks and stones will have them be sure they're out by the street or curb so that they are up for grabs and you're not stealing them

• I suggest to drive through an industrial area. It's best to ask if they are giving them away for free though as many return them to companies for reimbursement.

• Fle5071961

I see all these wonderful pallet ideas but the pallets are not treated and so would rot very quickly. Do you treat the pallets, if so can you tell me how you do it. Thanks Fleur

• Leslie Milne

Most are treated so bugs don't get them. Only the ones made for "one time use" are untreated. Like those that come packaged inside a box with an appliance or something. That's why most pallets are not safe for indoor use. I cringe when I see them in kids rooms and living rooms! There is a spray that detects if it's treated or not.

• Hi @Fleurhansby some pallets appear to rot quicker than others. I personally just replace them if they do, but one could certainly use sealants or stains to help.

• Ashley

When you say it's raised so water can clear through, how did you raise them?

• Hi @Ashley the boards are thick, not laying flat on the ground, but more, raised in height. This led to good water run off. ie: sections of a 2x4 would work great! It's the thickness that's the key.

• Karen

its beautiful but won't the boards rot and get moldy not treated and on the ground? Does it rain there a lot? We're in Texas and I feel like they would break apart after a year. Any idea?
    • Hi Karen, after several years, the boards have rotted, however I didn't worry about that, because this project is easy to replace.

You could always set the boards onto a gravel bed first if desired, and treat the wood before placing it down. I just didn't worry about it. :)
    • Karen

Okay thanks for letting me know!
  • Diane

Love it! I plan to do something like this at our place in the mountains -- it is a wet area, so I will probably lay down gravel first. Someone who lived there before us lined it with concrete "blocks" but I will remove them. The path leads from our back porch to the arbor. Don't you think a plank walkway will be great here? (Here is the space "before"):