Leslie F
Leslie F
  • Hesperia, CA
Asked on Jun 30, 2013

Single wide mobile home with really small bathroom.no clue for floor

Barbara KendryDarlaGrace
+28

My original plan for our bathroom floor was black & white checkerboard flooring for the bathroom but my friend pointed out that would make the bathroom feel even smaller.My colors for the bathroom are going to be Aqua and White.Any flooring suggestions?
Very small bathroom,right next to the back end of our tub is our toilet and ight next to the front of our tub is the vanity that takes up alot of floor space and I hate that vanity.
Current color scheme of our bathroom is yellow & whit with painted wood towel bar & toilet paper holder.Switching towel bar,toilet paper holder,switch plates & outlet plates to chrome,shower curtain rod is going to be brushed nickel.
Current shower curtian rod.
Current shower curtian rod.
this is the current flooring in our bathroom,mixture of wood laminate and vinyl flooring.
  • I would generally recommend you steer clear of self-stick tiles, though if that is the look you want... Many places now offer a very thick rolled vinyl flooring which doesn't require gluing & works well in mobile homes - the catch of course is you need to pull the vanity & toilet As for the looks - I would go to a flooring supplier with a few pics, see what they have / ask for ideas & take home a few samples

• Leslie F

Thank you so much,We have to reinstall our toilet anyway because we have to put in a new seal and taking out our current vanity and replacing with a pedestal sink.My husband works for a flooring shop and were planning on going rolled vinyl not the self stick.just don't know what kind of pattern to go with that won't make a small bathroom feel smaller.Our shower curtain is lighthouses which we're keeping because we're both beach people and love the beachy feel.

• Shari

When I looked at rolled vinyl about 3 1/2 years ago for my laundry room, I was really disappointed in the selection. I was repeatedly told by flooring stores in my area that vinyl is no longer popular with most homeowners so they don't bother to stock much of it anymore. Nevertheless, for a small bathroom where you want to to look and feel beachy, I would look for something in a light color. Perhaps you can find a pattern that mimics weathered gray wood planks or something in a sandy color. Another product you may wish to consider is the Trafficmaster "Allure" vinyl planks. They are great for bathrooms, very affordable and come in a variety of colors. I wouldn't pick a wild or bold pattern but a darker color on the floor (like a wood-look vinyl) will probably not make your bathroom look or feel smaller as long as the rest of your choices like paint, tile, etc. is on the lighter side. Although you didn't ask for advice on the pedestal sink, I would advise you to think about what you are going to do about storage for extra towels, makeup, haircare products, your husband's shaving essentials, extra toilet paper etc., before you replace your vanity. If this is your main or only bathroom, pedestal sinks are not very practical in a high traffic bathroom. The surface has barely enough room to hold a soap dispenser, much less even the basic items needed to get yourself ready for the day. No place to lay down a blow dryer or spread out your make up etc.

• Leslie F

Great Idea Shari,Thank you so much,weathered gray wood planks are a great idea.I was going to do glass shelving for our every day needs and baskets for the extra towels and I always keep two fresh towels hanging on our towel rod.Neither of us use blow dryers I don't use culing irons and I do my make up in the livingroom because the lighting is better there.We have a cupboard in the wall we keep shampoos,shaving stuff & toilet paper.

• Z

Actually if you like the checker board floor you can get the appearance of a larger room by using it on the diagonal. You can get the idea by looking at the floors in this link... https://www.google.com/search?q=checkered+floors&client=firefox-a&hs=Vnr&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=QATRUd2oDueuyQHl7oDgDA&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=864

• Leslie F

Thank you Becky,I really aprreciate the link you sent and your comment letting me know my checkered bathroom dream isn't totally a lost cause.

• Judy Brannon

I personally love the check flooring idea. I adore stick-on tiles, too, and they are easier to replace when one gets damaged than roll vinyl. Diagonally setting them as suggested above sounds like a great idea. I think the black and white would look wonderful with aqua, too! Your glass shelving idea is great because it will not minimize the smallness of the bathroom. And baskets are great, too! I am moving into a mobile home soon which has a tiny bathroom where three adult "kids" will be sharing. Instead of a towel rack, I plan to install 3 vintage door knobs just outside the shower, one for each person's towel so it will not break up the wall too much. Good luck with your renovation!

• Z

You're welcome Leslie. I'm glad I could be of help to you. Though we have a fairly good sized kitchen we also have an island with seating area behind the cook top making the main area of the kitchen more of a galley style. When my hubby was ready to lay the taupe and white tile he asked if I'd like him to do it on the diagonal which is just what I wanted, but knew it was more work when doing individual tiles so I didn't want to ask. We were both thrilled with the outcome. If you know the size of the tiles you can figure how many will span the area your working with by using the interactive tool at this link: http://www.mathopenref.com/squarediagonals.html Here's a view of the front side of our island. Even with the rug it still have a wider look than many galley kitchens do.

q single wide mobile home with really small bathroom no clue for floor, bathroom ideas, flooring, home decor, home maintenance repairs, small bathroom ideas
  • Z

@Judy, your idea for your adult children sounds great. I love any style of hook over a standard style towel rod. And you are right, they too help expand the space.

• Leslie F

The individual tiles are 12" by 12.Wow!sounds like you're going to have a home full of family,I miss those days.Doing the tiles on a diaganal is my new plan.It's not easy to find the checkered pattern in the roll so and alot less expensive going with the vinyl squares.Thank you everyone for your advice I can't express enough how grateful I am for your input and advice.

• Z

That's what we're here for Leslie. Please remember to take photos of the process to share here on HT so others can learn from your experience and we can see your pretty new bathroom when its complete! :^)

• Leslie F

I will definetly post before & after photos of our bathroom.I have added all the before pictures of our bathroom in it's cuurent status.I am going to post pictures of our planned bathroom today.

• Z

Thank you Leslie.

• Leslie F

your welcome

• Wanda sinnema

reminder to,,,,,, keep it in scale,,,, a small -med scale tile would be adorable,, but in your small space I'd bring home several sizes lay them out in the b'room just as you plan in the finished project. the photos on the flloor sight another mentioned were BIGGER AREAS......what you like in look there or at the store may not give you the finished look you desire..... please post some photos..

• Z

@Wanda, that is why I posted a link to help her figure how many tiles would diagonally fit across her space. It's in the reply with the photo of my kitchen incase you didn't see it.

• Leslie F

Thanks Becky,It's going to take twenty four tiles to do it diagonally.

• Z

You're welcome Leslie. Twenty four tiles isn't bad at all. I'm sure it will look lovely. I can't wait to see it. Will you be using the pretty lighthouse shower curtain? Oh speaking of shower curtains, though it's good to close them until they dry after a shower, it's best to keep them open once they are dry if you want your bathroom to appear larger.

• Leslie F

Yep,still going to be using the lighthouse shower curtain.I close the shower curtain to let it dry then pen it up in a couple of hours but my husban goes behind me and closes it.I think it's a quirk.

• Z

Ha ha ha! That's funny. My hubby wouldn't care one way or another whether it was open or closed.

• Leslie F

Yeah,It's a bit quirky,but I just let him be himself and when he's at work I leave the shower curtain open because it does make the bathroom feel more spacious.

• Z

Little things like this are so far down on the "drives me crazy" scale, you just have to giggle at them. I know there are loads of stuff like this my hubby chooses to laugh at about me. I have so many OCD quirks.

• Ran194605

Lol,Yeah so do I.

• Darla

I just put the snap-together luxury vinyl planks in our powder room (medium gray wood grain). Very durable and very easy to do! It looks really good, too.

• Marion Nesbitt

Have you thought of installing ceramic tile? Had a really small bathroom in my bungalow. Got Daltile octagonal. Little octagonal tiles in white surrounded one grey matte in the middle. Made the bathroom floor look larger. Neutral so could go with any colours.

• Connie Phillips

I too have a mobile home. I have collected smooth beach stones in natural shades of white. I have enough now but the money I saved on flooring I will splurge on buying a floor heating element. It would look great with your beach décor.

• Jill

Google paper bag flooring. I'm in the process of renovating the tiniest bathroom EVER! I love this. It's cheap, easy, holds up beautifully, works with any color scheme, looks SO much nicer than any vinyl ever could. You can stain it or leave it natural. And, when you think about it - you've gotten REAL wood floors while saving a few trees in the process!

, In the process of covering 30 yr old vinyl with brown paper bags kraft paper combo
  • Darla

Luxury vinyl planks in a gray wood grain pattern. Get the lock-together kind instead if the adhesive strips. I used that in our powder room and it's easy to install and looks great!

• Grace

Go neutral, in case you get tired of aqua and white. This will save you money in the long run. Even if the bathroom looks small, that's only visual . It will be the same size anyway, just don't clutter it. Keeping it nice and clean is the thing that matters most, and overall functionality. Putting down a new floor and fresh grouting the toilet area is also important to the overall appearance.

• Darla

If you use small tiles, 1-3 inches across, it won't make the space look smaller.

• Barbara Kendry

If you lay a checkerboard floor, put it on the diagonal and it will make the bathroom feel wider.