Save Your Yard & Foundation With a Dry Well

$230

Nothing glamorous, you can't even see it when it's done, but a dry well is a great way to redirect water in your yard.
save your yard foundation with a dry well, diy, home improvement, landscape, outdoor living
Luckily for us, the house we bought turns out to have the lowest backyard on the block. Or so it seems to us. When it downpours, we get standing water. Deep water. Like take off your shoes, roll up your pants water.
Be sure to come visit my blog Flipping the Flip for all the details about this project and many more!
After doing some research online, which is very important to do as you do not want to redirect water into places that are even worse, water can be insidious, we opted to dig a dry well. It's essentially a big pit filled with gravel.
I kid you not, this is what we found underground. Uh huh. Nothing like urban neglect.
Anyway. We dug ours 4' x 4' x 36" deep. And wow, next time we will hire people. Wow. It hurt.
Once you've finally finally made it and can't move, line the hole with landscape cloth. This keeps dirt from seeping back into the hole and ruining the whole darn thing.
Next, fill it up with gravel. Just plain ol' nothin' fancy gravel. We had two cubic yards delivered based on the size of our pit to China.
Now, we're not done yet but here it is filled. Suggestions include leaving 6-8" of space between the surface and the gravel but we didn't. Our gravel came with loads of fine grains so we're waiting for it to settle a bit. We can always remove gravel if need be. Next steps are to cover the gravel with sand then replace the grass.
It works by collecting water, filtering it through the gravel, then dispersing it underground. C'mon, let it rain so we can watch it work!
All in all, not a complicated project in the least. Just a ton of ouch-ie manual labor. Come on by the blog by clicking the link below for this story and much much more!

• Landscape cloth  (Menards)
  • Gravel  (local material seller)
  • Sand  (Menards)
Becky at Flipping the Flip

• Dhgrimes1950

I would like to know if you did this project to keep water out of your basement? And if so did it do the trick? Thanks for the idea. I have just enough water coming into my basement to be very annoying and will find a cardboard box no matter where I set one :-(

• Helmut

We found that basement water can often be solved by looking at the ground around your foundation... surface water needs to flow away from the house on all sides. Mound up a little dirt around the walls and tamp it down. Water will flow away and reduce basement water. ....also, store things in plastic tubs, no cardboard in basements. It gets musty.

• James Yeah

How’s this working today and is there anything you’d do differently

• Becky at Flipping the Flip

It's working really well actually. Two things I'd do differently is get clean gravel or river rock and not fill it so high so we could have had a deeper layer of soil for grass.

• Bruce

This is one type of containment system I am debating. The other is using NDP plastic fill landscape wrapped tubes 15 inch diameter, sunk vertically in our low spot area. Four or six of these, drilled down about 5 feet with 6-12 sand, soil, and sod or grass seed. Anyone tried this? Thanks.

• Brenda H

Use clean stone with no fine material. Also wrap landscape fabric over the top of stone. Keeps soil out of stone from top. Not as easy as you think. Do your research. Good luck.

• Peg
    3 hours ago

oh yes i will;. my backyard floods so bad there is a drain out on the corner. excavator said the city needs to put a back flo valve in to reduce water flooding into my yard. well they won't do it., i'll be calling someone tues am for an estimate

thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!