Delusions of ingenuity
Delusions of ingenuity
  • Eureka, IL

The DIY Trellis of All Time

Greetings!
I'm so happy you're here, even though by now, I do realize most of you are only here for Eddie. I can't say that I blame you.
Any time Philly or I come up with something far more fabulous and amazing than what our Visa card alone can provide, we call it the "blank" of all time.
For example, Eddie is the Schnauzer of all time.
Oh, my sweetness. Can you believe him???
the trellis of all time, gardening, how to, woodworking projects
I wanted a really big trellis and Phil wanted it not to be anchored to the house. Phil's a huge fan of not drilling holes in the house.
Such trellises have proven elusive. Except this one. I kinda like it, but...
from amazon.com
from amazon.com
It was $150.00 and it doesn't come with those cool climbing roses. Upon further inspection, I'm betting those climbing roses are fake.
Yeah, those vines are just a little too green and look suspiciously like the ones I saw falling off the Hobby Lobby truck the other day.
Cheaters. I'm so upset right now I can't see straight. Or maybe my choice of tasty beverage is causing the sudden change in my vision.
So. Philly said the magic words: "I'll pour you more wine."
No! That was the other time. This time he said, "I can build you a trellis!" Heavens, I adore that man.
We still have leftover cedar we stole from our neighbor to make our Pot Farm and our Headboard. (You should go check those out if you haven't yet. I'll wait.)
There is no tutorial for the trellis because he did most of the constructing after I'd fallen into a wine-induced coma. And I'd have no idea what to say anyway, except get our your table saw, circular saw, and drill. And be like Phil.
But I have pictures!
Here's a quick refresher in the unlikely event you had the audacity to skip my last blog post.
Playing pick-up sticks!
Inserting tab A into slot B...
Lands, he sure can make a mess, can't he?
Here's how he'll stick it in the ground:
Let's pause for a moment and inquire why we need a trellis in the first place, hmmm?
These babies!! I love clematis and I hope I don't kill them a whole lot.
I planted two varieties, and the white one is doing well. The other is a red/purple combo and it's pretty much going to die, I'm afraid. Here's the wall before:
And trellissed. Now I just need my baby clematis to grow or I'll have to replace it with those stupid fake roses.
See my new front-porch rocking chairs? Now we have a place to grow old together even if we refuse to grow up.
Thanks for visiting! You can follow my blog through the post linked up below!
Delusions of ingenuity

• Rona Connelly

Did she really say she has a pot farm? Am I missing something? Does that have a double meaning I don't know about?

• Dotty

I love your attitude. The best is when you stolled cedar from your neighbors.

• Karen Hyde

Is it okay to pin this? It's very much along the lines of what I'm looking for to use for privacy. Thanks either way.

• CliffordLadner

will it be nice if we can add pockets of plants in the frame. Like vertical gardening.

• Michelle Thomas-Keats

Amazing idea. This I will try to make as I have brick walls and I do t want to drill into them either. This home made hand made trellis is fantastic for my white Jasmine I have in front of my brick wall. I have to keep cutting it back as it has nothing to climb into except all through my other plants so I’m going to find some wood around here get my circular saw drill and nail gun and compressor out and make this. Thankyou for your great ideas.

• Penny D

Definitely trying out this project. Looks a whole lot sturdier then the flimsy wooden ones we’ve seen at Lowe’s and Home Depot. Thanks for sharing this great idea! Love the humor!