Darlene T
Darlene T
  • Delray, WV
Asked on Jun 30, 2013

Waterfall~Fountain~Ponds

Darlene TSusan Kolpack360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
+7

Does anyone have any ideas on creating a small "self contained" waterfall/fountain/pond. I would REALLY love to add a water feature to my garden (other than just a bird bath) but my husband is very much against it, says self-contained can't be done. This is the one thing that we are at odds on for garden.... PLEASE, SOMEONE HELP!!!!! I would PREFER a waterfall / Fountain feature, I just love the sound of the 'babbling" Brook!
OH ONE MORE THING... IT MUST BE FAIRLY EASY TO DO, SINCE I AM THE ONE THAT WILL PROBABLY BE DOING IT
This is a stream that runs though our development... not close enough to my house though for me to enjoy on daily bases
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

There are kits you can purchase on line that are actually quite clever and easy to do, along with actually looking nice. I believe we have some aqua pro's in our group that can help you out with any questions you might have.

• Melissa

By myself! I used a recycled black pond form (Lowe's, if you don't have a friend) to make a nice little pond. I added a very small fountain, some large rocks, and some bright goldfish. It made a lovely sound outside my window, and was very calming. Didn't take much money, and created a real conversation piece.

• Darlene T

Donna, thanks for the idea, I would kinda like to build out of recycle/re-purpose stuff. don't ask me why :-). Melissa, do you have pictures... would love to see it!!!

• Darlene T

Donna, I still may check the kits out... if they don't cost too much (pinching pennies) Thanks again for the idea!

• Peg

I bought my pre-formed pond, a used one. Put it in last fall, let it sit. Now I'm finishing it off this week, finally! All of the rain this year kept putting off the electrician to run an outlet and power to the pond area. I'll be having a low flowing waterfall, stream area to the pond. I bought all of the needed pumps, filters, pond liner plastic and hoses. Then will finish off with plants. Can't wait!

q waterfall fountain ponds, outdoor living, ponds water features, pre formed pondq waterfall fountain ponds, outdoor living, ponds water features, the waterfall feature will come form the right side I have a big rock there as a starting point
  • Darlene T

Sounds great Peg... good luck! I think I've decided to go with the pondless waterfall... will probably take a while to finish, going to have to buy stuff piece mill. There are plenty of Rivers and creeks around here so a least I can get the rocks cheap (price of gas it takes to get there) then I'll have to figure out how to do the whole pump thing. We have a gazillion GNATs around here so I don't want to do ANYTHING with water that will encourage them... I've read that, unlike mosquitoes, Gnats like running water to lay there eggs... can't win, but maybe I can do something to keep them away from my Waterfall :-)... maybe a few frogs :-)

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Sounds like a great plan @Darlene T , please post the outcome!

• Susan Kolpack

Our self contained self built garden pond with waterfall.

q waterfall fountain ponds, outdoor living, ponds water features, Our self contained self built garden pond with waterfallq waterfall fountain ponds, outdoor living, ponds water features, The garden in full bloom around the pond just off our porch this is the back viewq waterfall fountain ponds, outdoor living, ponds water features, A side view of our pond 3ft deep by 6ft long by 4 ft wide surrounded by day lillies hydrangeas irises water daffodils an water irises cattails peonies ferns wild phlox
  • Darlene T

Thanks for sharing Susan...it's absolutely beautiful. One day I hope to have something like that.