Pat Rios | The Wood Spa
Pat Rios | The Wood Spa
  • Herndon, VA

Before and After - Vintage Desk/vanity for a Little Girl

I found this desk and chair at a local tag sale for $10! It had a very poor paint job but it was too cute to pass.
before and after vintage desk vanity for a little girl, bedroom ideas, painted furniture
I don't usually sand down my pieces if I am going to repaint them. Normally a good cleaning and some light sanding and priming do the trick, but the paint job was so, so bad, that there was no way around it.
First I stripped the paint with zip strip. This product is powerful stuff and it works fast, but you do need thick gloves, a respirator and plenty of ventilation. Most people prefer more gentle products such as Citristrip but I don't have the patience to apply and clean it 4 or 5 times, so zip strip is my go to.
Next I sanded the desk, drawers and chair using my electrical sander on the flat areas and sandpaper on corners and details. I started with a 80 grit, then went to a 120 and finished with a 220.
This is the chair after a good cleaning with TSP diluted in water.
I wanted to use some beautiful turquoise knobs I bought especially for this project, so I filled the holes in all drawers using Minwax High Performance wood filler, then sanded it well making sure the surface was completely flat and smooth.
Next I drilled the holes for the new knobs.
I primed desk, drawers and chair with Rustoleum Primer spray. I had to apply two coats because the residual stain was bleeding A LOT! Bleeding is one of my worst nightmares and it happens quite often with old pieces. That's why I always use oil-based primer.
Using my inseparable friend, the spray gun, I started spraying the darker shade of blue (Benjamin Moore Cool Aqua - satin) in the interior of the drawers, as well as mirror and chair. Two coats. Once it was dry, I covered the turquoise parts and sprayed super white (Ben Moore) on the front of the drawers.
Then I sprayed the light shade (Benjamin Moore Icy moon drops) on the desk. This picture doesn't show but I taped and covered the interior of the drawer spaces to avoid overspray.
I used gray primer on the chair because I ran out of white, but since it would be painted in a darker blue, the gray worked perfectly fine. Believe it or not, the residual stain in the chair also bled through the gray, so I needed to apply two coats.
I sealed everything with Minwax Polycrylic satin (spray).
This is the final result. Sorry I don't have a closer picture of the mirror here, but you can check my blog for more pictures.
I paid $0.25 for this teddy bear in my local thrift shop. Isn't it adorable?
I can picture this set in my niece's bedroom. It's a shame she lives too far away, in Brazil.
Painting drawers on the inside is a pain, but in some cases, it just has to be done. Isn't this a nice surprise?
I am so happy with this transformation! If you decide to try it and have any questions, feel free to ask!

• Rustoleum Primer Spray  (Ace Hardware store)
  • Ben Moore Aqua Blue, Icy Moon drop and Super white paint.  (Ace Hardware store)
  • Minwax High Performace wood filler  (Ace Hardware store)
Pat Rios | The Wood Spa

• Renee Hampton

How did your spray painter work? Did you have any problems with it?

• Pat Rios | The Wood Spa

Renee, you need to thin the paint until you get the right viscosity. It takes some practice until you find the sweet spot, but after a few projects you get the hang of it. I had no problems with the sprayer in this project.

• Med5450564

Thank you Patricia. I live in Canada. Where did you purchase your paint sprayer?

• Med5450564

Thank you for going through the trouble to find it for me. Did you have to thin the paint before spraying? If so, what is the ratio? I must say you did a beautiful job! It's lovely!

• Pat Rios | The Wood Spa

You're welcome. The pack brings a little cup for you to measure the paint viscosity. Each kind/brand of paint requires more or less water, so I recommend you use the cup the for your first projects. Over time you will know the sweet spot just by looking at it.