Sharon Frymyer
Sharon Frymyer
  • Lima, OH
Asked on Jun 30, 2013

Climbing Rose

Bus194820360 Sod (Donna Dixson)Sharon Frymyer
+3

I have a climbing rose that won't bloom. What's wrong?
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

There could be many things going on. Do you know what kind of climbing rose you have? Has it ever bloomed for you? How old is it? Do you have it in the sun? Have you given it any nutrition? Have you cut it back recently? If you can answer some or part of those questions we can probably help you out some with your question.

• Sharon Frymyer

The rose is an off brand I bought at Walmart and "no" it has never bloomed for me. "Yes", it gets full sun from 11 am to sundown. Thanks for responding

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Have you cut it back any at all? Does it show any signs of budding?

• Sharon Frymyer

I cut it back this spring and "no" it shows no signs of budding

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

hmm...If it is a 'new dawn' they bloom on old wood, most of the newer varieties will bloom on new wood. If it is showing good growth, just let it go this season and see what happens, fertilize with a good Rose fertilizer forumula.

• Bus194820

I prefer to cut My Roses in the Winter,, I use mostly November & December,, Live In NW Florida and this is great timing and does not affect the blooms in spring. I also know Roses do not like to planted so that the Root Ball, (Above Roots however) wants to be somewhat above ground. And I use Bone Meal,, Epsom Salt also. and every so often, possibly during rainy season use some 10-10-10 Fertilizer,, but be careful as it will burn if placed directly on rootball, work into soil surrounding rootball and Water well.. Don't be afraid to cut back very well, seems to produce a Fuller rose in Spring.. When cutting a Blossom, count back atleast 5 Leave sections and then cut at angle, this also produces more foliage and blossoms. Good Luck!