Donna Shepard
Donna Shepard
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Asked on Jun 30, 2013

Poison Ivy or Not??

The Garden Frog with C ReneeDonna ShepardCindy Wood
+33

This is growing near my yard. Is it poison ivy or not?.. Need to know..ASAP
poison ivy or not, gardening
  • Donna Shepard

Another picture..Of what I believe to be Poison Ivy.

• Dawn @ Creative Cain Cabin

looks like it to me

• Donna Shepard

Okla. City, Ok.

• Donna Shepard

Three leaves.

• Bev Norton

don't take any chances just KILL IT !!

• Barbara Thomas

Definitely Poison Ivy.

• Donna Shepard

Thanks , I want to, but its not on my property.. It only about 6/7 ft. from my fence but I have a gate that goes back there ( for utilities company) and I`m worried it will creep into my yard.

• Sharonhull

It is definitely poison ivy. If you have access, you can cut it back to the ground, taking care to let only the long-handled loppers touch the plant (and wearing rubber gloves, wash loppers thoroughly afterward.) Then place many many layers of newspaper over the plant (top with mulch if needed to dress up the area), and the plant will die from lack of light and air. Leave newspaper in place for at least a year. If it survives by creeping out from the edges of the paper, repeat. Herbicide is often ineffective on poison ivy and poison oak and isn't necessary anyway since the newspaper topping offers an environmentally friendly solution.

• Luis

Poison ivy leaves grow in bunches of three, but so do many other plants. The way the three leaves are arranged can determine if the plant is poison ivy. The leaves on a poison ivy plant are arranged in a way that there is one leaf on the top of the group, with two leaves together farther below on the stem of the plant. The two lower leaves originate from the same place on the stem, so they are opposite each other.

• Luis

Check Carol Speake page she has a natural way to kill poison ivy

• Donna Shepard

Thank you all very much!

• Lawn Pro

donna,it is definitely poison ivey

• Hamtil Construction LLC

Three leaf clusters, mitten shaped leaves, red spot in the center of the stem, and fuzzy underside of the leaf were all signs I was taught to look for in identifying possible poison ivy. The leaf shape here definitely has the shape of poison ivy.

• Diane Howard

No, it actually looks like a sweet potato plant which isn't a perennial and doesn't make potatoes. I may be mistaken. I think poison ivy has 3 district leaves. Go to your doctor and get a shot for preventing poison ivy. I have 3 acres in Alabama it's everywhere.

• Bella! Bella! Designs

Texas Master Gardener here. Yes to all of the other responders and you. It IS poison ivy. If you don't want "drift" from spraying it with a Round Up chemical that will eradicate it, You can nitral glove up,then put a very cheap pair of garden gloves over those and long sleeves. Put the Round Up on a washcloth and wipe the leaves with the soaked wash cloth. It will take 7 days for it to begin to start to show demise. You may also have to treat it 2-3 times. If you don't treat it, the birds will eat the berries and spread the ivy when they come into your area. Also, poison ivy, poison oak can literally spray the oil from their leaves up to 5' away in the early stage of leafing out. Never, never, never burn it with brush. The smoke inhaled can cause the blister reaction in ones esophagus and lungs. We have it here in Central Texas and it is the ONLY thing I am non-organic about treating.

• Red28408626

Thank you ! I never knew that about burning it and the smoke . That is scary and so many around here burn brush.
  • Emilia Menthe

"Leaves 3 quickly flee, berries white take flight" was the old saying. Virginia Creep looks similar and old wives tale said to rub VC on a place that was exposed to PI. I don't think I will take the chance...what if I am wrong!!! Hamtil Construction described it well- 3 mittens with opposing thumbs on 2 and the 3rd has "two thumbs". Don't think you are immune either. I worked outdoors for years and didn't get "hit" until I was 50 y.o. and it only gets worse when I am exposed now at 62.

• Tammi Hofmeister

I don't think Poison Ivy vines like this looks. I'm from MN and I've seen ALOT of poison ivy, but only in bush form at about 8" high max. I can see where this look similar, but I'm on the "don't think so" side. Keep us posted!

• Lydia Whitehead Torres

As a specialist in horticulture, I can identify it as Poison Ivy. I have tried several of the home remedies for killing it here in Missouri and none of them have worked. There are few days that are perfect, ie. no rain for several days, to rid my yard of it. Using a chemical spray is quick and safe because you can spray it from a distance. Get it before it does manage to creep into your yard.

• Caley's Culinaries

Yep. PI. It's invasive so if you leave it, you will get it.

• Angel S

Bleach will kill it too.

• Joyce Berry

Poison Oak, we had it in Tn and it looked just like this. It grows in a vine and climbs everywhere. It affects you just like poison Ivy. Beware!!

• Deb M

yes, it is!!! We have it on our property and I am highly allergic. We have too much to get rid of it all. My problem is that our little dog will get in it and pass it on to me.

• Traci Winyard

To Tammy H. Here in Virginia, poisin ivy grows as a vine, often climbing trees.

• Gail Salminen

@ check your local bi-laws, many municpalities say it illegal to grow poison ivy on your property. If so in your area, the municipality may assist you in ridding this plant from any property, especially if it is in danger of invading your yard.

• Tanya Peterson Felsheim

We don't get poison Ivy we just get poison oak....its pretty easy to spot... I think its too hot and dry here to get the ivy...Hope you get a good handle on this

• Donna Shepard

Thank you all for your help.. Gail I think I may have to do just that since my neighbor isn't willing to work with me on this..

• Suni

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT BURN IT !!!!!!!!!

• Arlene Ottaway

Leaves of Three, let them be.....poison Ivy

• Melody M

yes ..its poison ivy... :{

• Peg

It's not poison OAK, but poison IVY. The urushiol in the plant is one of the most toxic on earth. Even after a vine has been cut down and dried, the spa can be toxic up to 5 yrs. I've gotten rashes in the middle of the winter by loading my wood stove with logs that had old root and vines on them. Any tools you use to cut it, needs to be washed or you will be exposed to the "sap" again. Throw out gloves that you use to handle it.

• You need to immediately get some weedkiller made for poison ivy and spray the heck out of it. Do not try and pull it out until it is dead. If you pull it out alive you will airborn the oils and you will get it! I am an avid gardener and very allergic to it and every time I lose the battle with it. You then find someone who is not allergic to it to remove it for you and make sure they do not touch anything of yours!

• Cindy Wood

And if you do happen to touch it make sure you wash immediately with cold water.

• Donna Shepard

It is still out there and growing!! But everyone I called said there is nothing I could do since it was on some one else`s property.

• So do a little night time kill~buy the strongest weed killer for poison ivy and douse it at night after dark. do this a couple nights spread apart to make sure you got it all. That's what I would do. that's what I do with my neighbor who will not take care of their yard and that dang creeping charley creeps into my yard...