Vetsy
Vetsy
  • Spartanburg, SC
Asked on Jun 30, 2013

Is this a result of Spidermites or some type of fungus?

VetsyGail HowellDonna Lauderbaugh
+19

I Purchased this Pitcher plant in the spring of this year. I was told to keep the pitchers half full and keep the plant moist at all times... I was also instructed to feed it on the 1rst of each Month and than on the 15th with Orchard food. However, my pretty pitcher plant was not so pretty for long...A few months after....... it began to look like what you see in the photos below... What's happening to it? Is it a Bug, Fugus, Temperature, All of the above or what???? I'm wondering if I should cut the area's off that are infected...Pitchers and all!
UPDATE: .7/2/2013 This Morning. ..I cut the infected pieces off...and then sprayed them with soapy water and neem. I'll keep an eye on my plant and update.... Thank you all so much for your support, helpful tips, and links....
Is this webbing? or what? I heard that Spidermites can make some type of web..
I'm not sure what the correct term is for the caps or hoods on the Pitcher plant but they look like this?
I can't get the proper light for it indoors. I live in a apartment so most of the time it is hanging outdoors on my balcony.
Here's what I did this Morning. I cut the infected pieces off and then sprayed it with soapy water and neem.
  • Jamala W

wish I could help you with this, but It's funny you posted this question about the picture plant. I wanted to buy one this year but at 30.00 I decided against it because I'd be very mad if it didn't last. I'm curios about your plant..

• Vetsy

@ Jamala W.... I had the same thought as you about the Pitcher plant. I have always admired them but thought that 20.00 bucks was too steep for a Newbie like myself...This spring I went to what was called a Spring fling event in my downtown area..The guy that was selling them..convinced me that they were a breeze to care for....So I bought it against my better judgement.... However....I hope that there is a solution that will help or I've just lost 20.00 bucks!

• Concetta P

oh my goodness.... that poor plant... :( are you using city water?

• Concetta P

found this for you http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/sarracenia-caresheet-updated-10-16-09-t1244.html it does say to use distilled water .... Hope this helps

• Concetta P

Brown Spots on pitcherAre caused by Decomposing insect this is perfectly normal an happens in mid summerCopper Color on the rim of lid of the pitcherAlso known as "Crust spots" its caused from dried up nectar from heavy nectar secretion on a thin layer in the rim of the lid. This is perfectly Normal.Pitcher's Turning Brow on the TopIs caused by the plant going into dormancy early. Most Pitcher plant's go into dormancy really early as late summer this is perfectly normal.Dried up leaves This is usually caused by Dehydration. To get rid of it just rehydrate your plant.Deformed LeavesThis is caused by "Aphids" to get rid of them use a Systemic Insecticide avoid using soap based products. Below is products you can use.Systemic Insecticide By OrthoNeem Oil (organic)Pyrethrin ProductsAvoid Soap Based Products it could several harm you're plant!!!

• Vetsy

@Concette P..... Thank you for the link..When I have more time I'll check it out ... I was instructed..to use distilled, rain, or pure water only...Thank you for your help.

• Tracey T

I haven't a clue but your plant is so beautiful!

• Caley's Culinaries

Right you are Miss Vetsy! The webbing is from spider mites. Spray them with soapy water, but not in the sunlight. You have a bad case, so do it a couple times a week until they are gone. I don't know what is causing the lids to turn brown. We left ours out on the patio with no care at all and that didn't happen. It filled up with flies over the summer -Eeewwww

• Donna Lauderbaugh

I've got one, my daughter bought for me last summer. I brought it in during winter, took it back out as it warmed up, it had grown so much that I had to repot, but now it doesn't have any of the pitchers hanging...anyone know why not?

• Vetsy

Tracey T....Thank you Tracey... I think they are too, I hope to learn how to care for it...I don't want to give up.. Caley's @Culinaries...Thank you I'll jump right on it... Hopefully I'll remember to do an update.. Donna Lauderbaugh.... Thanks for posting your question on this page..What you learn I will too...

• Vetsy

Tracey T....Thank you Tracey... I think they are too, I hope to learn how to care for it...I don't want to give up..

• Vetsy

Caley's @Culinaries...Thank you I'll jump right on it... Hopefully I'll remember to do an update.. .

• Vetsy

Donna Lauderbaugh.... Thanks for posting your question on this page..What you learn I will too..

• April E

ok 1 question are you watering this with tap water?

• Vetsy

@April E ..... No, April I was instructed to use distilled, pure, or rain water only.

• Donna Lauderbaugh

I'm using tap water, why does that matter?

• April E

donna yes it matters because most carnivorous plant are "allergic" to fluoride and chlorine both found in most city water

• April E

ok vetsy are you keeping a small amount of water in the pitchers? and do you keep the soil evenly moist but not soaked? these things if not done the way the plant likes stresses it making it more prone toward spider mites and using soapy water is the best way to get rid of the spider mites but you need to spray every other day for at least 2 week to break their cycle and premanatly get rid of them I love the pitcher plants but they do take some practice to keep em happy even in a greenhouse environment lol

• Vetsy

April E..... I try to keep the soil moist and keep watch for the pitchers making sure enough water stays in them... Yes this plant is working the nerves of this brown thumb....LOL! Thank you for the tips and instructions for keeping those mites away.. I also like to thank for the tips on the water...

• Donna Lauderbaugh

The tap water doesn't seem to be hurting mine, like I said I've repotted and think it could use it again, I'm jud=st not getting any of the pitchers hanging off of it.

• Gail Howell

Tap water never hurt my pitcher plant. Your plant looks like it is root bound and need to be repotted in a larger pot. That is exactly what one of my pitcher plants started looking like until I repotted it.

• Vetsy

@Donna Lauderbaugh.... I read on the net that a pitcher plant not growing any pitchers means that it needs more sun.... @ Gail Howell.... Gail I'll try to get it another pot soon... Thanks.