Jim G
Jim G
  • Suffolk, VA
Asked on Jun 30, 2013

Cherry Tomatoes growing, BUT no FRUIT??

WaysouthJim GMike Lee
+18

I have large tomatoes growing UNDER the hanging planter and Cherry Tomatoes growing on top. EXCEPT NONE of the Cherry tomatoes are growing yet. Plants look like they are doing well, but no fruit yet. Is this normal? I'm watching many online videos and pics, but I just can't find anything that talks to how long it should take for growing and fruit.
cherry tomatoes growing but no fruit, gardening
  • Glenda

I would go out and shake the plants when they were in bloom to cross pollinate them. soon after the blossoms fall off you should see baby tomatoes

• Jim G

ok, THANKS Glenda. I just watched a video on spanking the plants to help with pollinating and ALSO spraying the yellow blossoms when they first appear with 100% APPLE JUICE to stimulate the blossom and the methanol biproduct helps them grow. (?)

• Chris J

Somebody told me that if you have gorgeous plants and greenery, then you are over fertilizing your plants. All their energy is going into growing leaves instead of setting fruit. I used to fertilize mine every week but now am going to cut back to every 2 weeks and see if that makes a difference as I have an heirloom tomato that is growing, but doesn't have any blossoms or fruit yet. All the other tomatoes are going like gangbusters.

• Jim G

Chris.. yup, I think you are right. I'm listening and reading some websites this evening that say the same (too much Nitrogen and not enough Phosphorous.) I'm also learning to pinch off the sucklings to keep from wasting the plants energy and also to "spank" the plants for pollinating. I'll keep learning. **** TWO things STILL concerns me: 1) Can the BIRDS be eating the tomato blossoms / fruit? 2) Can the cucumber plants that are overtaking the whole area, be limiting the tomatoes or are teh fact that the cuke leaves are protecting the tomato fruits to allow growth? (I notice the few tomatoes growing, are BEHIND cuke leaves that maybe a crittter can;t get to. ??

• H.C. Lawn

plant have a plant life cycle so many days from time put seed in ground . It will bloom then so many days to fruit will be ready . the Big thing is balance diet for potted tomatoes have a common thing of have black bottoms a challenge of missing important potted plant food . after they bloom you can pinch the suckers shouts plant will work on make bigger fruit vs grow more plant

• Jim G

H.C.: Ok, so I am putting a "Garden-Tone" Herb& Veg 3-4-4 plant food recommended by the local nursery.... and JUST learned yesterday to pinch the suckers! In-fact learned to replant the suckers into new plants from Reaganite71 and Glenda ontop! ** I THINK maybe I should be getting a veg plant food that has a higher level of phosphorous in it. ****

• Sharon

mine seemed to take forever,too... we've had weird weather ,tho,so has a lot to do w/ it

• Caley's Culinaries

The amount of time it takes to produce should be dependent on the variety. Look it up and it will say "90 days" or "120 days" Something like that...However, too much N will make big green growth and not much else. Fertilizer high in P promotes flowering, if you want to sprinkle that on. I'm not a fan of pinching. If the productive stems are sheltered by the cucumber, that's a good clue, but those may also be the older stems that are closer to fruiting.

• Jim G

ok, thanks! I did pinch the suckers off the tomatoes and shook them lightly (spank / pollinate), which in the garden are being covered by Cukes, so I also pulled some Cuke leaves away to ensure light and air get thru. The regular size tomatoes are starting to grow, but those Cherry tomatoes in the planter..... just plants - no fruit! Thinking about bringing one plant inside the sunroom to see how that does, but then have to worry the CAT will eat the dang plant! this cat (indoor ONLY) likes to eat the leaves on my plants! (Cukes doing pretty good now....)

• Caley's Culinaries

Tom leaves are toxic. Your cat won't eat them. But I think cherry toms take longer to fruit than big toms. I don't think the problem is you. I think it's just the harvest time is later. You are doing great!

• Anita Hadley

my cherry tomatoes were the first to fruit. They're just now slowing down. I also thought that cherries were one type NOT to pinch. So I didn't pinch mine. It was the best producer for me. Had to pull an Heirloom and Florida type one. Both died but I did get fruit off them first. How long do they normally last? Determinate types I mean.

• Debby Boyle

Needs calcium!!!!

• Cheryl stanley

this will sound weird, but it really works! after I dig the hole for my tomato plants, i drop a tums in before I put the plant in. toms love extra calcium. I've been doing this for years and I always have an abundance of fruit. try it!

• Dawne Blythe-Picciolo

Not so weird Cheryl. My Granny had me throwing a raw egg or two in the hole before planting toms. She was born in 1901 and her Granny taught her that. Now my grandkids are learning it.

• Caley's Culinaries

Calcium prevents blossom end rot so eggshells, tums or any calcium source will help the tomatoes grow big and keep them healthy, but it doesn't affect setting fruit. If it was a calcium deficiency, he would get fruit and then it would rot and fall off.

• Judy

My cherry tomatoes have been slower to blossom & fruit this year too. Your plants look small compared to mine. Did you start them from seed? I'd say just give them some time.

• Mike Lee

If you have any blooms, go to plants and (thump) the stems.. I know it sounds stupid, but it works.

• Jim G

Judy: My grandson and I started them from seed. to-date, we have about 7 tomatoes starting to grow, Looks like they MIGHT be picking up now. *** THERE was this THICK STRANGE Fungus that was growing on the side of the planting box (elevated box), that I knocked off the fungus, BUT need to clean the edges anyway. Orange and white..... strange, but not growing back since I knocked it off.

• Jim G

so it turns out I had a GREAT year for Cherry Tomatoes! I learned a lot and we had plenty for salads and my grandson and grand daughter to pick and eat! they are STILL growing and I think I will try and bring them in and see if I can continue to grow them in the house during the cold months.... Thank you all!

• Waysouth

well this is what our Tassie gardening guru has to say about tomato growing and it worked for me. Tomatoes do not require heavy feeding, they like a bit of potassium to assist in flower formation. Never let them dry out, drying out, then soaking will cause blossom end rot. Cherry tomatoes don't necessarily need pinching out, I just let mine do what they want, they love to spread and wander in a most untidy manner! Sheep manure is good for tomatoes, not too strong, you don't want green growth at the expense of flowers, and sheep manure, old stuff from shearing sheds is good, makes for tasty tomatoes. Keep an eye out for bugs, some can hardly be seen but make the plant wilt, use a pyrethrum spray. If I recall further advice, I'll let you know Just remembered, any mould/fungus can be dealt with by spraying with a bicarbonate of soda solution or diluted milk, however, the milk spray gets a bit smelly!