Megan Aubrey
Megan Aubrey
  • Forest, VA

How to Clean Vinyl Siding

It's not something you're proud of - your house is a little moldy around the edges. Yup, there's always that side of the house that doesn't get that much sun and the moisture builds up and mold happens. Thankfully there's an easy way to clean it to enjoy a mold free year! Here's how my husband and I went after our mold on our vinyl siding.
Clorox Pro Results that attaches to the hose.
Yuck! Check out that mold!
Yuck! Check out that mold!
First step: spray down the siding with the cleaner attached to the hose.
Next, put your back into it. Scrub, baby, scrub!
Ah, literally squeaky clean!
Ah, literally squeaky clean!
Now that's a pretty sight!
Now that's a pretty sight!

Megan Aubrey

• Sondra

DOES CLOREX HURT YOUR FLOWERS?

• Megan Aubrey

The outdoor product I used did not hurt my flowers.

• Donna

Make sure you use Clorox OUTDOOR bleach. The regular chlorine bleach for laundry use can harm your plants. The concentration mix of Outdoor Clorox/water is on the container. I've used it for several years to clean our vinyl siding and have never had any plant or shrub damage.

• Debbie L Denton

My father has sprayed his house for years. All he used was regular bleach and half water solution in a sprayer. Let it sit for a 20-30 minutes. Then rinsed off using just water in his power washer. It never hurt my moms flowers. She had beautiful flower beds all around her house .

• Susie

It will probably poison any plants that are close by your house and grass too

• Jzc13535839

I've been told I should not spray from below; that water would seep into the walls and insulation. Is this a real problem or not?

• Megan Aubrey

Hmmm, I'm not sure. It sounds like a good idea to go head on or from above. But I would think if you house can survive the rain it should survive the hose!

• Car3373179

Rain goes down not up, vinyl siding is put on startiing from the bottom going up.

• Pam McCaffery

grab a ladder so you're not spraying upward into the seams

• Jim L

Always start at the bottom and work up. Otherwise stains will occur and not wash off. If you are careful and do not stand close to the house and move the wand enough, the water will not get under the siding.

• Blake Willard

There is a water resistant membrain under the sidding the sidding is a UV and weather protective surface . The amount of water that may get in is negligible

• MeganS

I was also told by a home inspector that you should never spray up because of water getting under the siding.

• Gail Hoak

I agree with Jim L., start at bottom and work your way up otherwise you will have stains that you won't be able to get off. Happened to me. If your siding was put on right there is no worry of water getting up under the siding, besides there is a plastic membrane under your siding.

• Susie

Aluminum siding is laid on top of each other from the bottom all the way to the top they lay on top of each other when you spray up under to the side you are opening the side and water will go inside. Possibly start spraying from the top down so it runs down the wall and do it maybe from an angle rather than directly on it from the front. I use my hose on the power wash spout and it helps to eat it Off too

• Polly

What is there are parts you cannot reach with a scrub brush? Does this still work on those spots?

• Megan Aubrey

It did work well! Fortunately the top of the house did not have as much mold on it. It was the bottom that had collected the mold and needed to be scrubbed.

• Pas17491360

If the "mold" is green, it is actually algae. Mold thrives in dark conditions. Algae likes a little light. Both like moisture, though, so usually grow on the northern sides/edges of you home.

• Polly

It's definitely on the north side. And it's on metal roofing. No way can I get up there and scrub. Tried commercial, attach to the end of a hose, cleaner and it did not touch it. Just need to know if any one has found a spray on, wash off cleaner that works.

• Ann7217879

You can use a power washer which will reach the higher areas and you won't need to scrub with a brush.

• Dha23599860

works tub and tile spray works great
    • Polly

I would have never thought of that. Thank you!
    • Pamela Jones

Simple Green w/a light scrub or pressure washer works great. My neighbor swears by a product called Wet and Forget.
    • Kaye Carpenter

That’s what I use and it’s no scrub

• Jeremy L. Baumgartner

If its moss thats on your roof, you can use powdered tide detergent. Just get on the ladder and sprinkle it up there.

• Tiffany Lazon

What to you if your highly allergic to bleach?

• Megan Aubrey

I would check out if there are any other products they sell that do not have bleach in them. Also, check out the comments. People are great at sharing alternative ideas!

• Vicki Umbarger

This is exactly what I do and it works great. No scrubbing needed. Just let the bleach sit a minute before rinseing and redo tough spots. Easy Peary.

• Darlena

The best way I have found is by using any brand of siding cleaner that says MOLD INHIBITOR . I find I can go an extra year sometimes two without the mold returning

as bleach requires me each year