Cyndi Autry
Cyndi Autry
  • Rockmart, GA

From Pot to Lawn

Msi1170121Patriciamaxwell69Douglas Hunt
+4

I have a Poinsettia that I got for Christmas this past year, it is still thriving in the pot, and is beautiful. Can I plant it in the yard outside? Or does it need to stay in the pot? I also have a pineapple growing in a huge pot. It hasn't produced fruit yet, it is little over 2 years old. It is nice and green to about 3/4 up the leave stem, then about 1/4 of the tip of the leave is a tan. What can I do to make it produce?
  • 3po3

I think Georgia is a little too cold for a poinsettia to survive outside in the winter, but a local expert might know a little more. I don't know anything about the pineapple. Sorry.

You can plant your poinsettia in your yard but you would have to dig it up and re-pot it before cold weather returns. (Actually, even temperatures below 50 degrees will cause them stress.) And the steps involved in getting it to red again are numerous. It can take two years for a pineapple to produce. Do you move it outside? How much sun is it getting?

• Cyndi Autry

Thank you for trying...

• Cyndi Autry

Douglas, the Poinsettia is on my front porch, and I water it when I should, it is really doing great, just wasn't sure about the planting in the yard of it. The Pineapple doesn't get but a little afternoon sun, but gets plenty of natural light (not the drink--lol), and it doing good, but it's been a little over 2 years, am I doing something wrong?

Cyndi, if your poinsettia is happy, I'd keep it where it is. You will have to bring it back inside anyway. You may well have to do some pruning, though, or it is likely to outgrow its pot. I suspect your pineapple is not getting enough direct light.

• Patriciamaxwell69

Yes, keep your poinsettia on the porch, though you may want to add fresh soil to its pot or repot it in a larger container. If you can let it stay on the porch through late fall, the natural cycle of declining light will encourage its leaf bracts to turn red without extra trouble -- its red "petals" are actually leaves with the small flowers in the center. This is assuming your porch is unlighted.

• Msi1170121

Patricia is on the right path, but be warned. Just because it's night doesn't mean it's dark enough! Even a street light on the corner or a porchlight that is often on disrupts that Redding process. If you can see where to step,it's too light. Simply carefully place a suitably large cardboard box over the plant at night, take off in the morning. You should have a good red show for Christmas.