Maria
Maria
  • North Las Vegas, NV

DIY Printed Vintage Sign Transfer to Washboard for $5 - Tutorial

$5-10

Laundry decoration. I bought a plain wooden washboard at Michael's for $5. Then I painted, found a vintage sign and transferred it to the board. Easy peasy.
diy printed vintage sign transfer to washboard for 5 tutorial, crafts, home decor
Paint: dark stain, then vintage blueish-greenish paint, then whitewash with white paint in water.
This way when distressed, different color layers will show up.
After whitewash
I printed out the sign mirrored onto a plain paper. Cut it out. Used Mod Podge on the board, then turned the paper onto it. I made sure the coverage is even, smoothed out bubbles. (this technique works for laser printer)
Let it dry for at least 2 hours (more vintage look) or 24 hours for a more perfect transfer.
Using a sponge brush, start wetting the paper, until the letters show thru.
Then gently start rubbing the paper away
With your finger... Until all the paper is gone.
Then distress your piece.
Here is a closeup, how it turned out.
I actually hung this on the wall

• Jessica Serrano-Gregg

Love this piece and your tutorial is great and easy to follow. Great job

• Joanie

I have an old wash board hangin' in my laundry room. I left it as was. I keep magnets on it. I have a magnet from Sears of an old wringer washing machine. Just 1 displayed. I can't imagine havin' to wash clothes on it. Oh My!! But they did....Bless their hearts!