Living Window Shade

How to create Shade over windows that get too much sun by using gutters as a window shade http://www.onemoretimeevents.com/2013/06/living-window-shade.html
Using gutters as planters creating a living window shadeEach 10' gutter was cut to 5' lengths
Then measured 18 inches from each end  and 2 inches across for cord placement.
Drainage holes were drilled all along the bottom of the gutters.
 Supports end caps (not shown) were added
Each gutter was spray painted with Rust-oleum Ultra Cover that bonds with plastic
Colors used were Sage Green and Fossil
2 of the gutters were painted with Sage Green and the other 2 were painted Fossil
After painting the gutters let them completely dry
Using gutters as planters creating a living window shadeEach 10' gutter was cut to 5' lengths Then measured 18 inches from each end and 2 inches across for cord placement. Drainage holes were drilled all along the bottom of the gutters. Supports end caps (not shown) were added Each gutter was spray painted with Rust-oleum Ultra Cover that bonds with plastic Colors used were Sage Green and Fossil 2 of the gutters were painted with Sage Green and the other 2 were painted Fossil After painting the gutters let them completely dry
Next after measuring for  placement for the Screw Eyes,  holes were drilled, eye screws were screwed in and cording was added. cord from the inside and out the bottom, add washer and tie cord  in a knot.  This was done for each gutter after measuring 12 inches down and then repeated for the rest of the gutters.
Next after measuring for placement for the Screw Eyes, holes were drilled, eye screws were screwed in and cording was added. cord from the inside and out the bottom, add washer and tie cord in a knot. This was done for each gutter after measuring 12 inches down and then repeated for the rest of the gutters.
I  use Miracle-Gro Moisture Control  since this area gets a lot of sun and and it absorbs 33 percent more water.
Flowers and plants Used:
Verbena
Angelonia Serena
English Ivy

Container Gardening
 Pick 2 kinds of flowers
1 flat of English ivy

Add soil to each gutter
Place the color pack of Verbena  leaving enough room to add the tallest flowers in between.
(Normally I would plant the tallest flower first, but  I wanted to alternate the colors of the verbena's since my tallest was one color).
Then to finish it off add Tailing plants (English Ivy) at the ends and in between the flowers
I use Miracle-Gro Moisture Control since this area gets a lot of sun and and it absorbs 33 percent more water. Flowers and plants Used: Verbena Angelonia Serena English Ivy Container Gardening Pick 2 kinds of flowers 1 flat of English ivy Add soil to each gutter Place the color pack of Verbena leaving enough room to add the tallest flowers in between. (Normally I would plant the tallest flower first, but I wanted to alternate the colors of the verbena's since my tallest was one color). Then to finish it off add Tailing plants (English Ivy) at the ends and in between the flowers
living window shade, container gardening, flowers, gardening, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling, window treatments, windows
It starts with
 2-10' rain gutters
support brackets
50 lb All-Purpose Cord (Mildew & Rot Resistant)
2 3-1/2" Screw Eye with 5/16" tread
8 washers

Tools Needed
Chop Saw
Drill
Screw driver
It starts with 2-10' rain gutters support brackets 50 lb All-Purpose Cord (Mildew & Rot Resistant) 2 3-1/2" Screw Eye with 5/16" tread 8 washers Tools Needed Chop Saw Drill Screw driver

Tammy H

• Tammy H

Hi Judy… Nice to meet you neighbor! Yes it does get hot here… We have English Ivy in the living window shade.

• Deezie

This is the coolest idea, I love it