Bob M
Bob M

what is this plant??

Rita Quail SlackJoann Gonnella CopeJaweb
+25

q what is this plant, gardening
q what is this plant, gardening
  • Debra D

I think it's a perennial geranium.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

It is a perennial Geranium.

• Bob M

THANKS!!! it does look like the plant we've seen/want!!!

• Laura K

looks like a hardy geranium-Striatum is the variety I think. How big does it get?

• Rebecca D

I have a purple,pink and a white pelagonium geranium called (cranesbill). They can get huge if not divided.

• Alethea S

Perennial geraniums (Cranesbill) are the basis for my back garden. VERY easy to grow and you'll have plenty to share with your friends.

• Vickie C

Brother-in-law has these, they are very hardy and takes abuse well. My dog has more than once got her tie out lead tangled around his plant and they recovered every time. He lives in northern Michigan and the cold winters hasn't bothered them either. I transplanted a small plant that my neighbor gave me her plant when she moved. Just dug up the whole plant with no prep before hand.

Another great thing about perennial geraniums is they bloom seemingly forever.

• Micki B

I have a couple of these in my yard and always wondered what they are as well. Thanks for the info!

• Chris T

It is a wild geranium--they come in several colors.

• Nancy Rhodes C

Is it like a ground cover?

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Nancy, it certainly can be in the right place. They don't creep like a vine, but more like a clumping perennial. They are really cool plants coming it all sorts of leaf shapes and flower colors. Most of them stay pretty small no taller than 18" -24", and some are smaller. Most of them also give a lovely reddish fall leaf color. I give you fair warning though, once you have one beautiful specimen you will soon be wanting more!

• Lisa

It is definitely a hardy wild geranium

• Monique Clouatre

I think this is MALVA. Perrenial that I like very much. May be another name in English. Monique.

• BS

I think this is winecup, callirhoe involucrata. It's in the malvacaea family, Monique, so I think you are right. Maybe it is known elsewhere as wild geranium, but I am pretty sure it is callirhoe.

• Jeanne

We bought a home 5 years ago & it is completely landscaped in perennials. I had to look some of them up & this was one of them. It is called cranesbill. the leaves turn orange in the fall. It is VERY invasive but I love it! Hope this helps.

• Three Dogs in a Garden

This is certainly a geranium. I have it in my garden. I am not sure I would agree that it is "invasive", but it does self-seed prolifically, so perhaps that is what Jeanne means. Cut it back to the ground after it flowers to prevent seedlings. It will look like hell for about a week or so and then you should see nice, fresh foliage. Hardy geraniums are great garden plants and there are lots of cultivars to choose from. To see s a few of them visit this post on my blog: http://threedogsinagarden.blogspot.ca/2012/07/g-is-for-geranium.html

• Judy

Looks like dianthus

• Sallae

i think Three Dogs in a Garden is right its a geranium

• LP

We used to call it Mallow.

• Julie J

Definitely hardy geranium :)

• Nancy Nesbitt

Three Dogs in a Garden is correct. This is a perennial geranium.

• Lou Devillon

Perennial geranium

• Cathy Simpson

It looks like purple thrift to me!

• Dottie

Wild geranium.

• Jaweb

It is a perennial geranium also known as "Rosanne". Blooms early summer well into late fall. Spreading and multiplying growth habit .

• Joann Gonnella Cope

Grows wild in Minnesota we call it wild geranium

• Rita Quail Slack

It looks sort of like a Rose of Sharon.