Wendy Payne C
Wendy Payne C
  • Redmond, OR

Need advise for cheap flooring in my budget for a dinning are.

Bernice HKMS WoodworksAsta H
+6

We just bought a house and the dining room is part of the living room. We have to recarpet but we don't want carpet in dining area so we were going to separate them. I have a fire place that has real very nice slate around it. The colors are black, grey, orange, ect... I was going to lay a laminate that looked like stone but there are so many choices. We are on a budget. So what would look good with the slate around the fire place and cheap we can do our self. I want to be able to do the are for no more that 3 or 4 hundred if we are doing it our self. The area is about a 10x15.
  • Check out lumber liquidators. Eugene and Portland. They have some real nice stuff at much better prices and quality then the big box stores have. Click and lock flooring is real easy to install and if done correctly will last many years.

• 3po3

If you are careful with it, Some of the new laminates look really nice. I particularly like the wood finishes. I think they are more realistic and attractive than the fake stone. The problem with them is that they can chip and scratch and can't really be refinished like real wood.

• Home Repair Tutor

Wendy, Check out Lumber Liquidators online and see what kind of prices you can get for laminate products. I recently put in bamboo laminate at $1.99/sq foot

• Asta H

The wood look vinyl plank is what I would look at.

• KMS Woodworks

I've done a number of plank vinyl installs....very DIY friendly. The product I have used is Traffic master Allure. You can get it at home depot. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100609202/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=traffic+master+allure&storeId=10051 It comes in "wood" as well as "tile" versions

• Asta H

I don't like the click and lock laminates much -the sound hollow when you walk on them.

• KMS Woodworks

Asta H...I agreee 110% laminate look and feel cheap to me...some "engineered" floors also fall into this category.

• Bernice H

@Wendy..KMS gave me the same advice..Havent done it yet, due to heart surgery, but it is coming up soon.I am grateful to learn about the vinyl as opposed to laminate.Let us know what you do?

• Bernice H

@Wendy Payne C so what did you do? We installed/had installed vinyl planking, Allure, per Kevin's @KMS Woodworks suggestion. It is very nice. Am curious, what was your solution?