New Privacy Fence

This was one of our other projects we've been working on. Just finished (mostly). We still have to add the panel, latch, and lock to the gate and we'll be done. This was a DIY project, just my husband and myself (mostly my husband).
The main reason to do the new fence was because we originally only had the metal cyclone fence about 3-3 1/2 feet high, like many suburban neighborhoods built in the 40's, 50's, & 60's, etc. Our son, who has severe, non-verbal autism, and is a flight risk, is now eleven years old (and almost 5'8"). In short, in another year, he'll be able to swing one leg over the fence, then the other and be gone. No climbing necessary.
Of course the added bonus is of course we get to have a nice privacy fence. Win win. We also decided to extend the backyard back to its original size, which the original owners changed by moving the gate from the side of the house to the back and putting a fence along the perimeter of the garage and cutting off a large chunk of property. It gives us less driveway, but who cares. We're not car people. We use them to get us places. And we park them when we get home. Whoop.
So! We moved the gate back to its original spot and tore down the old half/rotted fencing. Then put up the new privacy fencing. There was also a small section on the other side that was fenced off at the back of the house that we decided to include as part of the backyard, so we brought the new fence up to the front of the house. We now have a little "nook", or "courtyard" where we're going to put a little patio garden. My head is in the clouds already!
IF I remember correctly, my husband told me, we've added about 1100 square feet onto the existing yard by doing that. Lots of room for my son (and the dog) to run around and stretch their legs! And we had a pretty big yard to begin with.
The cyclone fence frame is still there on the south side because of the concrete foundation. We're going to paint it and I'm going to pretty it up with hanging planters, after we've stained and weather-coated the fence.
Aaaaaand I'm stopping now because I never know when to shut up.
North side. I'm a dummy and didn't take "before's" of this side.
North side. Eventually there will be flower beds planted here except for around the tree where my son's sensory swing is.
The new little "nook" or courtyard. My future patio garden oasis?
Courtyard. Ignore the terrible lack of grass.
What the courtyard looks like from the street. Ignore that shack-looking thing next to it. That's the worst-looking part of the house and we're working on it. Also ignore the weeds in the flower bed please. Working on that too. :)
South side. Cyclone fence removed, before new fence up. That's the neighbor's driveway and garage, not ours btw.
South side, before.
South side, before.
Where the gate was before and part of the old fence, before we took it down. The garage is to the left and the backyard is just behind it.
Yes, that's my car and that's where the gate is going to go. Right in front of it. That's the side of our house on the left. You can see the new fence on the right.
Looking at the old fence from the backyard, before it comes down. That old deck is going bye bye, too!
The old fence and gate are down and the new one is up! Yay! That's my old Escort. We're hoping to get it running for my daughter. And that's our dog, Maxine.
Want to see it again? I do! Hi, Maxine! The door of the car is open because my son wanted to sit in it. Ten bucks says his sister is going to have to drive him around in that car.
And the after's.
And the after's.
Last one. For now. There's still a TON of work to be done. I need a drink. How 'bout you?
Kelley Aho Phillips

• Patricia Curry

Thank you, Kelley, for the inspiration! We need to do the same thing for our yard in Rhode Island (though I'm originally from Michigan, yay!). Maxine is a sweetheart!

• Carol Merrill

Great job! Just be sure that all your metal posts are in tip top shape. So many rot at or just below the dirt line!!