Lin R
Lin R
  • Spring Hill, TN

Slugs and Snails Eating My Hostas?

JudyBPeggy Rickard
+25

Every year this happens to my Hostas. I have tried putting beer in pans and that did not help and this year I am using something called Eliminator - slug and snail killer. I have been putting it on faithfully and at first it seemed to help, but as you can see something is eating them now. Any ideas would be most appreciated.
slugs and snails eating my hostas, gardening, pest control
  • Lin R

The little gray pellets you see there is the Eliminator Slug and Snail Killer.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

I think @Douglas Hunt is onto to the correct diagnosis. This does not look like insect damage. I have been seeing a lot of fungusy stuff this year due to the heavy rains we have had.

• Lulu Miller

I have had an infestation of slugs this spring and summer in the Pacific NW and this is not slug damage. Slugs eat holes in the plant leaves. Good luck with finding the diagnosis.

• Lin R

Thank you all for the info. Now I have to figure out how to treat them. All these years I have been blaming it on the slugs and snails. The area is in full sun in the am, so I do believe you are right on the money Douglas about the fungus and sunscorch. I appreciate your input.

• Mary Watson

I had problems with snails and planted garlic around them and it seemed to help. Hope you find a solution...Hostas are so pretty!

• Tanya Peterson Felsheim

@Douglas Hunt that was an excellent source for information for our hostas! Thank you for the share!

• Cynthia

Doesn't look like slug damage. I'm thinking Douglas Hunt is correct.

• Cynthia

Here are some pictures to clarify what the problem could be.

, Slug damage causes holes, Hosta Anthracnose causes more of a brown out section like shown
  • Erin G

Yeah, slugs leave the leaves looking "Swiss Cheesed" like Cynthia's photo. I don't think you have slugs. :)

• Deborah Farias

beer in a bowl in garden ,they love it and will drown in it and die.it true it works

• JJ

Sprinkle coffee grounds all around...... if it is slugs they hate coffee grounds.

• Christine Reese

I read that Epsom salt deter slugs

• Charlotte Belange

try putting coffee grounds around them start 1" away from stem add until even with the leaves maragolds / zinna on the outer edge they keep bugs awayChar B YELM,WA

• Charlotte Belange

I'm thinking of putting in a pot soon, I can't bend down any more with out falling, I have r/a & fibro really bad, so I have to have my grandkids help.

• Joh2746185

Epsom Salts also kills plants!

• Janise L Kasper

Try grated up Irish Spring hand soap dropped around the stems, works really well....honest

• Joh2746185

Epsom salts is one of the main ingredients in my homemade weed killer, kills weeds overnight!

• Judy

l Think the problem was quantity.....best to mix epsom salts with water and use sparingly....too much of a good thing...it does increase magnesium in soil
  • Chris mara

I have not tried this yet but need to - diatomaceous earth/sand which people use for swimming pool filters. I understand that the slugs don't like maneuvering over it because it's coarse. Since slugs prefer moisture and appear at night, it's helpful not water your garden in the evening at the height of their activity. Water your garden in the morning; this allows for the soil to dry throughout the day and not attract slugs at night. Put the diatomaceous earth around the base of the plant. This will discourage slugs from climbing up into the plant to snack on it, and if they do, they will dehydrate and die quickly. Diatomaceous earth is not as effective when it's wet, so only apply on dry days and in relatively dry soil. The slugs have been consuming my lettuce and hostas since we've had such a rainy spring in Illinois! You can purchase this stuff on ebay, Amazon or at garden centers. Good luck!

• Peggy Rickard

This looks more like the hosta fungus - not slugs and snails.

• B

I save my egg shells for organic control of Slugs. After I use the egg I microwave the shells to dry them out. When the shells are cool I put them in a large zip lock freezer bag and store under the kitchen sink. After a bunch accumulate I take a heavy object like a rolling pin or can of vegetable and roll that over the unopened bag to crush the shells. When I have Slugs coming around my plants I just get some of these crushed shell and put around my plants. Slugs do not like to get into the shells because they shells are rough and cut their sensitive bodies. The crushed shells are also good to put in the holes that you dig to plan tomatoes. The Calcium from the Shells helps to prevent "blossom end" rot, a very common disease of Tomatoes.

• Judy

It is a fungal infection visit your plant store.....not hard to treat....save the rest of your plant