Becky - Clover and Thyme
Becky - Clover and Thyme
  • Wilmington, DE

Homemade Ant Bait

Ants are especially bad this year in our region (Delaware) but I have been able to keep them at bay using this homemade bait for any of the little fellows who try to set up shop in my home.
ANT BAIT: 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup very warm water, 2 TBS Borax
I have had fantastic results with this mixture, in these proportions, on a variety of ants. **Make sure to keep these baits far away from pets and curious toddlers as it can be harmful and toxic to both.** When not in use, I keep the bait mixture in my fridge in a glass container on the bottom shelf, marked “ANT BAIT” in bold letters. If you have trouble getting rid of the ants, you can try adding a bit more borax, but if you add too much the ants grow wise to your scheme and reject the bait. See photos below and my blog for more information!
I mix the ingredients listed above together thoroughly in a glass measuring cup. I stir until the sugar is completely dissolved, then I dip a cotton cosmetic pad into the solution. I then place the saturated pad on a plastic lid.
I place the bait right in the line of ant traffic and wait. Pretty soon the bait will be crawling with ants. Don't kill them! They will take the mixture home to their queen and in 24 hrs there should be no trace of them in your home.
Becky - Clover and Thyme

• Fran1st

I tried the vinegar solution but I still had ants - an army of them. I had the large black ants and they bite! I went to Home Depot and purchased Amdro ant traps. They have a liquid in them and are spill proof. You can get for indoor or outdoor. I put them out in my house and it was amazing - the ants clustered around the trap and then they left to go back to their "home". They were gone in 24 hours and I have not seen another one!!

• Lou7333654

I had ants come in during the summer months. I live in the Persian gulf (really hot summers) I put talcum powder near the entry points. No ants!